Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, June 12, 2021

Give A Call


          Yesterday I was talking to my wife's physical therapist during her weekly in-home treatment.  We got on the topic of differences in skilled nursing homes and how they varied so much.
          He mentioned that the day before he was doing an in-home treatment with a client when his client got a phone call from his wife who was in an area skilled nursing home.  His wife was sobbing and begging for him to come and get her out.  She had been ringing for help for over 40 minutes and nobody was responding to help her.  So sad!  We recognized the name off the home and it was one that we hope we'd never have to use.
           It made me remember stories my mother used to tell about another nursing home where she worked for years as a volunteer.  Many times she would find patients who desperately needed help and were ringing for help without any response.  The staff was too busy - often they were in the hall talking to each other and ignoring the call.  Often my mother would go ahead and help the patient and then get in trouble herself for doing things that weren't her responsibility.  But at least the patients were helped by somebody.
          Sometimes nurses really are too busy and overwhelmed to respond immediately to every call.  And some patients are too demanding. There are often good reasons for delays.  But there is no reason for a patient to call for help and then wait over 40 minutes without any response.
          My wife was very fortunate.  While she was a patient at LGH and then at the Quarryville  Presbyterian Home skilled nursing unit, most of her nurses were very responsive and helpful.  When a call was made, they responded.
          We are thankful that the Lord provided a room for my wife at Quarryville.   When we were told that she had to be taken to a nursing home the two that we suggested had no beds available.  LGH then provided us with a list of eight facilities that had a bed available.  Two were close to our home but we had seen and heard problems with them and I wouldn't let my wife go there.  The list we were given also gave numerical evaluations for each of the eight.  Then the administrator also shared with us the two that she would be willing to send her mother to if she had to.
          We finally chose Quarryville, which was highly rated and recommended, even though it was a 30 minute drive from home.  It was an excellent choice.  We found a modern single room, kind staff, good food and excellent care.  We had no complaints at all.
          But calling for help without any response is a growing problem in our society.   Some doctor offices now will no longer answer your call directly but will ask you to record your request or question with a promise to get back to you.  Usually they do, but sometimes after you wait many hours for a reply.
           Some businesses do the same.  After having to listen to a lengthy recorded menu you are finally asked to leave a message.  That can be very frustrating.
          Yesterday I had some questions for my wife's in-home care coordinator.  I called the number given to us only to find it went to an answering service.  I shared what I wanted and who I wanted to talk to.  I was told that they would get back to me.  Two hours later the wrong person returned my call.  And I never did hear from the case manager as I had requested.
          Calling someone and getting an answer is not always easy, especially if you are in a hurry.
          These experiences have made me remember one of the first Bible verses that I memorized as a youngster - Jeremiah 33:3.  "Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not."
          First, we are invited to call upon Him whenever we want.  Second, He will hear and answer us.  He is never too busy.  Third, not only will He answer us but He will show us more than we ever expected.
          What a tremendous promise that He always keeps.  I have claimed this promise  throughout my life and have been amazed by the results.
           This is one call which will never go unanswered.

No comments: