Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, July 10, 2021

Fourth of July

          Fourth of July celebrations in the United States feature patriotic music, parades, picnics, concerts and of course, fireworks.  Most of those were canceled in 2020 because of covid, but many of them made a comeback with some limitations in 2021.
          One of the most famous celebrations happens annually in my hometown of Lititz.  Most of the events happen in the Lititz Springs Park with the candlelighting and crowning of the Queen of Candles.  The fireworks went on this year but in a different location.  People come from all over the country to attend this celebration.
          But would you believe that I have never been to the park to view these traditional ceremonies.  For many years we were at our camp meeting over the Fourth.  Then several times I had to work that day for the newspaper.  When we were married I no longer lived in Lititz and we didn't feel like fighting the crowds and the terrible traffic to get there.
          But my favorite part of the celebration was the great parade always held the day before, on the third of July.  It was an amazing small town America celebration with numerous bands, floats, scouts, majorettes, members of the past and present military, fire engines, military equipment, etc.  Thousands came to view it.  We always got there early to save places for our family along the route.  It was one of the highlights of our year.  But, alas, it was a victim of covid prevention this year. But maybe it will be back again next year.
           Then there also were the many gigantic celebrations in cities around the country.  Many of these are televised.  Some included "famous" musicians and today's popular music which I generally don't care for.  But some did include patriotic music which was stirring.  And, of course, they included fireworks - in many cases, too many.  New York was the most guilty of this.  They could have cut their production in half and saved many thousands of dollars which could have been spent on needy projects and people.  And after many years of watching fireworks, I feel that there really isn't anything new to see.  But then, I am old.
           Over the years my favorite televised event is the Boston Pops celebration in Boston.  I've often wished that we could go to see it live.  Now that my niece and her husband are moving to Boston that could be a possibility.  But physically we could no longer handle it.  So we will continue to watch on television in the future.
          The Boston Pops have always been one of my very favorite groups.  A few years ago when we attended a math convention in Boston they came to present a special concert for those attending the convention.  We scouted the area in advance and found the best entrance and location to see them.  We ended up just a few rows from the front - a perfect location.  The concert was excellent but they didn't play my favorite march, "Stars and Stripes".  Now I don't know what got into me but when they ended I called out "Stars and Stripes".  Many joined me and chanted the same message.  They heard us and struck up the march for us.  It was amazing and memorable!
          The 2021 Spectacular was a little different than in the past.  Because of covid the music and program were televised from a location called Tanglewood.  The program included a salute to our armed forces medley, a patriotic sing along, and "Stars and Stripes".  And, as is the tradition, it included a performance of Tchaikovsky's "1812" Overture, with the many cannons being fired.
           Special guests included Six-String Soldiers of the U.S. Army Field Band - said to be the most followed military music group in the world - and members of the United States Air Force Band's Singing Sergeants, the official chorus of the USAF and the first premier military chorus to enlist women.  For the most part they were great.
          But there were some things I did not enjoy this year.  Other special guests  were Jon Batiste, bandleader of The Late Show, and so called legendary singer Mavis Staples.  Now again I am showing my age but I thought their presentations were poor and way too long.  Is that really talent?  But I guess the audience enjoyed them as they stood and swayed and danced along.
          And as is happening too often today, in my opinion there was too much emphasis on equality and diversity.  But that is where entertainment has gone.
          Now there was one more song that stirred my heart and troubled me.   The audience joined in singing "God Bless America".  As I listened to the words I could agree that God has blessed this country for decades. For that I am thankful.   But I was haunted with the question could God still bless America today?  Could He bless a country that kills babies, that is troubled with killings and violence, that mocks marriage and Biblical values, that has leadership that has no time for Him, that lies and steals?  I don't think so.  And that is so very sad.
          Maybe we need to fall on our knees and make this song our prayer.   
God bless America, land that I love 
Stand beside her and guide her 
Through the night with the light from above 
From the mountains, 
To the prairies, 
To the ocean white with foam 
God bless America, 
My home sweet home.

No comments: