Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, August 7, 2021

Lessons Learned

          We're all aware of the challenges faced by business establishments during the pandemic.  Most wrestled with closures.  Some closed permanently.  Much income was lost by employers and employees.  
          And now when things are opening again many still face challenges.  Many have trouble hiring employees since many can make out better claiming unemployment.  Many companies have trouble getting products or replacement parts.  Have you noticed the empty new car lots?  Have you tried to purchase a new appliance?
          Recovery is placing new challenges on businesses of all types and some of this is resulting in poor customer service.
          My wife was shopping online for a new cardigan sweater.  After searching numerous sites she finally found what she wanted at Coldwater Creek, a company that used to be very credible.
          On July 3 she placed an order with them for a Shaker Button Cardigan, light heather gray, Petite XL.  According to their website it was in stock and would be shipped soon.  We then received an e-mail confirmation from them and were told that we would be notified as soon as it was shipped.
          Well several weeks went by and we heard nothing.  I then sent an e-mail to their customer service asking about the order.  In return I was told that there was a delay but that it would soon be shipped.
         But again nothing happened so I called customer service to inquire.  Again I was told that it was about to be shipped.  Finally, on July 29, we were relieved when we received a notice that it was finally being shipped.
          Then, on August 4, a month after the order was placed, the package arrived.  When we opened it we found that instead of a sweater it was a drawstring dress.  Instead of being light heather gray it was midnight navy.  And instead of being petite XL, it was small.  Nothing was correct except for the invoice which listed exactly what we had ordered.
          When I checked our credit card account I found that Coldwater Creek had already charged our account. for the incorrect product.
          I quickly called their customer service.  They agreed that it was the wrong product - they said that somebody must have just pulled the wrong product off the shelf - where was their quality control?  I was told that my money would be refunded but not until we returned the dress.  Why did I have to go to all this work to correct their mistake?  But I was told, no return, no money.
          But the worst was still to come.  I asked if we could just get the correct product.  The answer?  We no longer handle that product!  Why wasn't I told that in any of my previous correspondence?  Where has honesty gone?  Incidentally the product is still listed on their website.
          So I took the time to send the useless product back.  But I also sent a letter describing my experience with them.  I included an itemized bill for my time and expenses, $74.80 (no tax added).  Don't hold your breath waiting to see if they honor this.  I'm not!
          Will we promptly get our money refunded?  Time will tell.  I might just ask our credit card company to cancel the order.  They will do that.
          Oh yes, Coldwater Creek did send me a form inviting me to write a recommendation about my experience with them.  I filled it out with a step by step explanation of all that had happened.   Would they publish it?  The answer came quickly - a rejection of my evaluation with no explanation.
          So I learned another lesson.  Probably many of those product recommendations you find on the internet have been sorted with negative ones eliminated.  So much for the truth.
          Another lesson - don't expect companies to apologize for their mistakes.  Common courtesy is also a thing of the past for many.
          A final lesson - we will no longer do business with Coldwater Creek.  They don't need our business.

No comments: