Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, August 21, 2021

Psalm 73:26 (NLT)

          The scripture reminds us that God' s mercies are new every morning.  Hopefully this too has been your experience and your testimony.  Each day can hold its own unique challenges, often unexpected challenges.  But God is there to comfort and guide.  Great is His faithfulness.
          As I've gotten older the challenges have changed and at times I've struggled with them.  Usually there are few to share them with except for the Lord.  Most humans either don't care or are too involved with their own challenges to help.
          Recently as I struggled with some of these challenges the Lord provided a verse which I needed - Psalm 73:26  (New Living Translation).  My interpretation and application might be slightly different than yours, but here is what it has said to me.
          My flesh may fail.   Throughout most of our lives we don't think of what growing old may mean.  We may see family members and friends begin to fail physically but we don't think it will ever happen to us.  But then slowly and sometimes suddenly it does.  Arthritis makes living difficult.  Joints wear out.  Our sight and hearing begin to fade. Accidents happen.  Our medicine list grows. We become afflicted with conditions we never heard of before. Getting around becomes more difficult and we begin to depend upon canes and walkers for support.  Slowly we become dependent on others.   Yes, the verse is right - my flesh may fail.  Mine has.
          The past year has been a real challenge for us physically - faster than we ever expected.  We spend a considerable amount of our time visiting doctors and having tests done - fourteen visits so far in August.  We feel confined to home and not just because of covid.
          My spirit may grow weak.   Now my interpretation probably differs from that of Bible scholars.  But my thought about spirit is the energy and ability to take care of the normal routines of living.  And for me that is growing weak,  I am finding it more trying to carry out the normal routines of life - shopping, paying bills, ordering repairs, taking care of our property, arranging our schedules, communicating with others, cleaning, etc.  I have the time to do these things, but my energy to do them is growing weak.
          As I write this I am aware that the four young men who live across the street from us are moving.  They were sent here by God because they took care of all of our snow clearing the last two years.  My spirit is growing even weaker as I wonder how we will now get this done since neither of us can do this anymore.  We will just need to trust the Lord to provide help once again.
          But God remains the strength of my heart.   Now the message becomes brighter.  God is still in control.  He hasn't moved or changed.  He is my rock, my fortress and on Him I depend.  He will find a way to clear our snow.  He will continue to provide the guidance I need.  He will provide the friendship and fellowship which I long for when the challenges come and others disappear.  He will provide the wisdom I need.  He is the strength that keeps me going from day to day.
          Now how do I know this?  First, He has promised never to leave me or forsake me.  He never has and He never will.
          Second, I have 80 years of experience with Him.  I have seen His constant provision in so many ways over all these years.   God is good - all the time.  Jesus is the Rock of my Salvation.
         He is mine forever.  What a great conclusion to this verse.  It's thrilling to be able to make this testimony, with assurance.  Forever - both now and through eternity.  He will always be there.
          My flesh may continue to fail, my spirit may continue to grow weak. but He will continue to be my strength.  He is mine forever.

No comments: