Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, September 25, 2021

A Great Loss

          It was 5:50 in the morning and the telephone was ringing.  Calls at this time of day usually bring bad news.  Nothing good happens at that time.  Fortunately we were up and dressed which is unusual for us that early in the morning.  But an electrical contractor was scheduled to arrive at 7:00 to do some work so we were up and ready for him.
          The call was from our church secretary and her news was not good.  A good friend of ours, Jack Lewis, had either had a heart attack or a stroke and his wife was waiting for the ambulance to arrive.  This was a real shock since Jack appeared to be in good health.  He was athletic, active and only 62.  This had to be a mistake.  We were called to place a request on the church prayer team which we operate.
         Less than an hour later we received a second call informing us that Jack had passed away.  Despite attempts at CPR he apparently had died in his sleep. We were stunned.
         Jack was not only part of our church family for many years but he was an important part of our Awana family. For 37 years he had served in Awana usually working with the games and the Awana Olympics.  For 35 of those years he had worked with us. We trained him. He was an exceptional leader and was so good with the kids.  He loved them and they loved him.  He was especially good with those from the city where many of the parents often did not provide much support to their children.
          I don't know how many times his teams dominated the regional Awana Olympics but it was an unusual year when they didn't win first place.  He was also an exceptional coach.
          But in a way Jack almost seemed like a member of our family.  He would do anything for us.  We had the joy of watching him grow spiritually over the years.  His love for the Lord and his burden for children were exciting to watch.  
          Jack had a cleaning business and he was good a it.  He had more business than he could handle.  During the many years that Dianne served as custodian at church Jack would often provide her with materials and advice in how to care for serious and unusual problems.
          He also developed a heart for the children of Haiti.  He participated in and actually led many of our church's annual mission trips to Haiti during the summers.
          He will be missed by his wife and daughter.  He will be missed by his many friends at church.  He will be missed by the children.  And he will definitely be missed by us.
           Jack's death is a reminder that we don't know what a day will bring.  We need to be serving the Lord and trusting Him each day.  And thankfully we have the assurance that after our last breath here on this earth, we will be with Him eternally. And we know that this is what happened to our dear friend Jack.
          When I was leading Awana most evenings we ended with the following chorus.

I'm going to heaven, can't wait!
Going to see Jesus, can't wait!
Heaven is wonderful, bright and fair,
Praise the Lord I'm going there.
I'll be there for ever, can't wait!
Going to leave never, can't wait!
And I know I'll not be very late,
'Cause I'm going to heaven and I can't wait.
I'm going to heaven,
And I —- can't —- wait! (can't wait!)

          Jack isn't waiting anymore.   He is there.

          If you are interested, here is Jack's obituary.   OBITUARY

No comments: