Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, September 4, 2021

They Are Gone

          They are gone!
          Several years ago we were faced with a dilemma.  We had no way to  clear our snow anymore.  I had heart problems with five by-passes.  Shoveling was no longer permitted for me.  And I had back problems and balance problems.  Even running our snow blower became impossible.
          Then my wife joined me with heart problems of her own.  First she needed a pacemaker.  Later she needed her aortic heart valve replaced.  And she too developed arthritic problems which limited her ability to help with the snow.
         So we we were faced with clearing a large two car wide driveway, a  side parking area, a front walk, a side walk and a back walk.  Since we face the north side we can't even count on the sun to melt our snow.  Our families are all too far away to ask them to drive here in the snow to help us out.
          So I decided to try and advertise.  I placed a notice for "help wanted"  in the local Advertiser and on the bulletin board at the local grocery store - no responses.  I checked with several folks who do this professionally but they were already booked up.  One fellow who lives a block away and has a plow said he would come and look at our property - he never did.  Now our next door neighbor said he would help us when he could.  But he has his own job and obligations and we weren't sure how much we could count on him.
          Finally I made up a flyer asking for help and gave it to a number of our neighbors - especially those who were college students.  One would think college students might be glad to earn some extra money.  I guess none of them needed any money, if they had to work for it.  Maybe they were to busy studying - not!
          And throughout this entire process we prayed.
          Then an answer came.  Across the street came four young men who were college students and also worked as EMT's on ambulances and also served as volunteer firemen.  They were clean living young men with hearts to serve others.  They came to us after receiving my flyer and said that they would take care of us.
          And for several years they took care of us each winter.  Our snow was always removed.  In fact because of their need to get out quickly during emergencies our driveway was also always open right after they opened their drive.  And when needed, they came back to put ice melt on our ice patches.  We never had to ask - they just showed up and it was done.  We could not have asked for anything better.  They spoiled us.  One of them even showed up to help the night the ambulance came after Dianne's fall.
          We often told them that they were an answer to our prayers.  And they were.
           But, unfortunately that isn't the end of the story.  Early in August we noticed some trucks being loaded at their house.  And then one of them was gone.
          A few weeks later I talked to one of the young men as he was getting his car ready to haul.  He confirmed that they were all moving as of August  31.  They were all going different directions - one to South Carolina, one to New Jersey and two to Maryland.  They were applying there for jobs as EMT's or police officers.  It was so very hard to watch them move.
          Now while our big loss will be help for our snow removal, we will miss them as exceptional neighbors.  They were kind and thoughtful.  They were clean living and never had parties or made noise.  They were always ready and willing to help. And that is very unusual, especially in a college town.
          So maybe I need to start serious exercise so that I can try and get in shape to remove the snow myself if we don't get any help.  I guess you do what you have to when you have to.
          But first we will begin the one approach that worked before - prayer.  And we welcome you to join us in doing this.

No comments: