Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, April 22, 2023

Roses Not Thorns

          Have you ever wondered why God allows some of His choice servants to suffer with serious ailments rather than heal them?  I admit that I have.
          For many years I had a very godly pastor who lived with a deformed arm.  He never complained and he never let it interfere with his ministry.  I imagine that he often talked with God about it but there was no healing.  After years of fruitful ministry, God called him home.
          I had a good friend who was a pastor and a missionary who discipled young pastors and also built many churches in India.  He lived for many years with a serious blood problem. The Lord allowed him to keep serving until a few months ago when the Lord also called him home.
          I have another friend with a young family who serves as a missionary to elderly in homes for the aged.  He just found out he has fourth stage prostate cancer.  Once again, I ask "why?"
          The Bible tells us of a famous missionary who had a "thorn in the flesh". Paul asked the Lord three times to remove it, but He never did.  No one knows what his thorn might have been.  Some speculate it was his eyesight, others epilepsy, some his physical stature.  Whatever it was, it was irritating and an impediment to his work.
          But Paul knew the problem was given by God.  He also knew God's grace was enough. "My grace is sufficient for you, for my strength is made perfect in weakness." (2 Corinthians 12:9).
          And while we might not have the answer to the "why?" questions, we do know that God's grace is sufficient for all of our needs.  And as we face our "thorns" and trials, may we find our strength made perfect in our weakness.
          May the Lord give us the peace and strength we need to meet our "thorns" and continue serving the Lord as He gives us the opportunities.  It is always too early to get discouraged and quit.

(1)    He giveth more grace as our burdens grow greater,
He sendeth more strength as our labors increase;
To added afflictions He addeth His mercy,
To multiplied trials He multiplies peace.
Chorus: His love has no limits,
His grace has no measure,
His power no boundary known unto men;
For out of His infinite riches in Jesus
He giveth, and giveth, and giveth again.
 
(2)    When we have exhausted our store of endurance,
When our strength has failed ere the day is half done,
When we reach the end of our hoarded resources
Our Father's full giving is only begun.
Chorus: His love has no limits,
His grace has no measure,
His power no boundary known unto men;
For out of His infinite riches in Jesus
He giveth, and giveth, and giveth again.
 
(3)    Fear not that thy need shall exceed His provision,
Our God ever yearns His resources to share;
Lean hard on the arm everlasting, availing;
The Father both thee and thy load will upbear.
Chorus: His love has no limits,
His grace has no measure,
His power no boundary known unto men;
For out of His infinite riches in Jesus
He giveth, and giveth, and giveth again.
 

No comments: