Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, July 8, 2023

Legacy

          It happens so quickly.  The years fly by.  Soon our friends and relatives are slowing down.  Soon they start using canes and walkers.  They develop cancer and other diseases.  They move into retirement homes and nursing homes. We attend more memorial services.  Their names appear in the obituaries. And soon the same thing happens to us.

          And as these days come, we have new questions.  How will our family survive without us?  How will our final days be?  What is heaven really like?  Will we be going there?  What will our passing be like?

          We also begin to wonder what our legacy will be. What does our life mean to others?  What will others remember about us. How have we influenced them?

          I've never really been into most secular music.  Gospel music has been an important part of my life.  But every once in awhile I come across a secular number which speaks to me.  Such was the case a few weeks ago when I heard the song "Leader of the Band", by Dan Fogelberg.

          The song is written about his dad and the legacy he left for his son. Fogelberg thanks his father for the direction, kindness, examples and even the discipline of his elderly father.  What a legacy and what a wonderful way to share it.

          What legacy are you leaving? Hopefully, one that honors Christ.

 

[Verse 1]
An only child, alone and wild; 

a cabinet maker's son
His hands were meant for different work 

and his heart was known to none
He left his home and went his lone and solitary way 

And he gave to me a gift I know I never can repay
A quiet man of music denied a simpler fate
He tried to be a soldier once, 

but his music wouldn't wait
He earned his love through discipline - 

a thundering, velvet hand

His gentle means of sculpting souls

 took me years to understand

[Chorus]
The leader of the band is tired 

and his eyes are growing old
But his blood runs through 

my instrument and his song is in my soul

My life has been a poor attempt to imitate the man.

I'm just a living legacy to the leader of the band.

[Verse 2]
My brothers' lives were different 

for they heard another call
One went to Chicago and the other to St. Paul. 

And I'm in Colorado when I'm not in some hotel
Living out this life I've chose

 and come to know so well

[Verse 3]
I thank you for the music and 

your stories of the road

 I thank you for the freedom

 when it came my time to go
I thank you for the kindness 

and the times when you got tough
And, Papa, I don't think I said

 'I love you' near enough

 

You can listen to it here.   LEGACY

 


No comments: