Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, July 1, 2023

Sorry, You Aren't Qualified

            In my last blog I discussed job interviews and some of the strange things that have happened in them.  Now there is another aspect of this process that can be a challenge for those who must write personal recommendations, especially for those who have been challenging employees.
            Here are some suggestions for such difficult recommendations.

-For the chronically absent:
"A man like him is hard to find."
"It seemed her career was just taking off."
 
-For the office drunk:
"I feel his real talent is wasted here."
"We generally found him loaded with work to do."
"Every hour with him was a happy hour."
 
-For an employee with no ambition:
"He could not care less about the number of hours he had to put in."
"You would indeed be fortunate to get this person to work for you."
 
-For an employee who is so unproductive that the job is better left unfilled:
"I can assure you that no person would be better for the job."
 
-For an employee who is not worth further consideration as a job candidate:
"I would urge you to waste no time in making this candidate an offer of employment."
"All in all, I cannot say enough good things about this candidate or recommend him too highly."
 
-For a stupid employee:
"There is nothing you can teach a man like him."
"I most enthusiastically recommend this candidate with no qualifications whatsoever."
 
-For a dishonest employee:
"Her true ability was deceiving."
"He's an unbelievable worker


One final suggestion.  Here is a sample reply letter for the person who receives nothing but letters of rejection from employers.
 
Dear [Interviewer's Name]: 
 
Thank you for your letter of [date of rejection letter]. 
 
After careful consideration, I regret to inform you that I am unable to accept your refusal to offer me employment with your firm.  This year I have had been particularly fortunate in receiving an unusually large number of rejection letters. With such a varied and promising field of candidates, it is impossible for me to accept all refusals. 
 
Despite [Firm's Name]'s outstanding qualifications and previous experience in rejecting applicants, I find that your rejection does not meet with my needs at this time.  Therefore, I will initiate employment with your firm immediately following graduation.  I look forward to seeing you then. 
 
Best of luck in rejecting future candidates. 
 
Sincerely,
[Your Name]


No comments: