Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, October 21, 2023

The Great Disappointment

           Sunday will mark the anniversary of "The Great Disappointment", an event which had it happened would have changed all our lives.
          In the early 1800's there was much speculation about the exact day and year when Christ would return.  Among those making predictions was William Miller, a minister from New York. After much study he felt that the return would come on October 22, 1844.
          As that date approached a foreboding fell over New England.  People gathered in churches and on mountaintops. Many normal activities ceased while folks watched the skies and looked for the sudden end of the world.
          But, alas, nothing happened.  Many Christians became disillusioned.  Some became cynical. The event became known as "The Great Disappointment".

          Miller and his followers forgot Christ's warning against setting dates. Matthew 24:36, "But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father".
          
Miller predicted a few more dates, also without Christ's return. Miller responded publicly about his mistakes, writing, "I confess my error, and acknowledge my disappointment; yet I still believe  that the day of the Lord is near, even at the door.
          Well I do agree with part of his conclusion.  I also believe the day of the Lord is near.  It could be today and we are to be ready.  As He tarries there is still much for us to day in this sinful world.

          An old song sums up my hope.

                                   (1)    Often my soul has been lifted above

Lost in the ocean of God's mighty love

Higher and higher, but once still I say

I'm going higher someday

 

I'm going higher, yes higher someday

I'm going higher, yes higher to stay

Over the mountain, beyond the blue sky

Going where none ever sicken or die

Loved ones will meet in that sweet by and by

I'm going higher someday

 

(2)    Soon will the Savior appear, bless His name

And in a moment, we all will be changed

Then when he calls for his bright come away

We're going higher someday

 

I'm going higher, yes higher someday

I'm going higher, yes higher to stay

Over the mountain, beyond the blue sky

Going where none ever sicken or die

Loved ones will meet in that sweet by and by

                                        I'm going higher and someday!

Be ready, it might even be today!


No comments: