Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, October 28, 2023

Whispering Hope

          Several years ago, a local small evangelical church needed a piano player.  They contacted my wife and offered her a small stipend to play for their Sunday services.  At the time our church had plenty of musicians and didn't really need my wife, so we agreed to minister with them for a year.

          Their Sunday worship service averaged about 60 in attendance.  Their Sunday night service averaged about eight, including the pastor and his wife, the church treasurer, and Dianne and I.  During our time with them the pastor preached through Isaiah in the evenings, an hour each evening. And they didn't seem to understand why they didn't grow.

          They didn't have any musicians except for the pastor who had an excellent singing voice.  Their folks were nice but they kept to themselves.  We never really felt accepted by them – we were outsiders.  I was never asked to lead in prayer, lead singing or participate in the services.  We did sing one duet during our year with them.

          However, we did enjoy our time with them.  They enjoyed Dianne's playing.  But why wouldn't they?  God has blessed her with a special gift.

          But looking back there is one event that I really regret.  There was an elderly widow who attended regularly.  We tried to be friends with her.  Then one Sunday morning she came to me and said she was going to sing a solo that morning.  She wanted the pastor and I to provide some background for her number, "Whispering Hope".

          Now I had never heard her sing. We had no music.  And I really didn't want to do it.  Fortunately, I had a good excuse and could tell the truth.  I had a very bad cold and couldn't sing that morning.  So, I said that I couldn't do it.

          But, the pastor sang background alone for her.  It was terrible.  When we got in the car to go home, Dianne asked me what I thought.  I said that it was the worst thing I had ever heard.  We both burst out laughing and didn't stop until we got home.

          Now that years have gone by, I realize how wrong my reaction really was.  The widow was doing it for the Lord.  It was her offering for the Lord. It now reminds me of the story in the Bible of the widow who gave her last coin.  And it meant so much more than the large gifts given by others.  And now I believe the same thing could be said about this widow's song – it was her best!  Now I am embarrassed by my thoughts.  I was wrong and have accepted it differently.

          And what about the thoughts of the congregation?  They responded to the music with loud "Amens" throughout the church.  
          They understood what at the time I did not.


No comments: