Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Sunday, February 1, 2009

A Penny For Your Thoughts!

This month we will celebrate Abraham Lincoln's 200th birthday. On his 100th birthday he was honored by having his face placed on the penny. Maybe it's good he isn't alive today to see how the penny is now treated. Few folks - except Dianne and I - even stoop down to pick one off the ground anymore. In fact many would like to take it out of circulation.  I guess a penny is only really good for paying sales taxes anymore.  Reader's Digest recently had an interesting quiz about the penny. See how you do: (1) A penny stays in circulation for how many years?   A 30   B 50   C 10;   (2) If you dropped a penny off the Empire State Building and it hit a passing pedestrian 1,454 feet below, it would kill him. True or False?;   (3) What is the most a Lincoln penny ever sold for at an auction?   A $221,950     B $373,750    C $1.3 million    (4) In 2005, Edmond Knowles cashed in his world-collection of 1,308,459 pennies because ... A. He needed to pay for home repairs     B. 4.5 tons of pennies might be considered a complete collection     C. His wife told him it was time    D. All of the above;    (5) It costs the U.S. 1.2 cents to make a 1-cent penny. True or False?    Now while you think about those questions, consider these sayings: pretty penny, a penny saved is a penny earned, penny pincher, penny wise and pound foolish, putting your two cents in, be penny-wise and pound-foolish, turn up like a bad penny.  Can you add some more?   Now the answers.  (1) A, although two out of three pennies printed in the last 30 years have disappeared from circulation;  (2) False, it might hurt, but there would be too much wind resistance to gather the necessary speed;  (3) B;   (4) D, he is considering collecting dimes;  (5) True. So how did you make out? I guess I should say, a penny for your thoughts!  But then I don't want to give mine away, I am collecting them. 

No comments: