Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Friday, February 20, 2009

Two Interesting Letters

Sometimes the Lord provides a little humor just when one needs it.  Those of you who are regular readers know my father and my father-in-law both died within the past two months.  Both received interesting letters after their deaths.  The day after my father died, he received a letter from the Department of Transportation.  The form letter said that they were glad to inform him that he qualified to have his driver's license renewed and they wished him years of safe driving.  Not bad for being 91.  Actually in the month or so before, both his family doctor and eye doctor gave their approval for him to drive.  In fact the eye doctor said his eyes were fine and good enough to drive at night!  Now my father-in-law's letter was also from a government agency, but it wasn't a form letter.  He was taken to task for not showing up for jury duty which is rather hard to do when you are dead.  And why would they want someone who was 96?  The letter went on to say that he was reassigned to the April court session and that if he didn't show up this time they would send the sheriff to pick him up.  We thought about replying that the sheriff should bring his shovel when he comes.  Since I doubt that there are driver's licenses or jury duty in heaven, I guess both letters are just good for some humorous relief.  Now what if they get letters informing them that they have won the Reader's Digest or Publisher's Sweepstakes?   That might be more interesting!

No comments: