Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

25 Years Ago

I just realized that a few days ago was the 25th anniversary of one of the more memorable events in my life - meeting President Ronald Reagan at the White House and receiving the Presidential Award for Excellence in Teaching Mathematics. It was a once in a lifetime experience which I shall never forget. I remember that I was stunned when I received a letter from the White House telling me that I had been chosen to receive the award as the winner from Pennsylvania. This was only the second time the award had been presented, so I was only the second math teacher from PA to receive it. The letter also told us that Dianne and I were to be in Washington for a week with 49 other math teachers and 50 science teachers from every state. We had two weeks to prepare and that was a very busy and exciting time which included buying new clothing to meet the President. We had to look our best! The morning we were to leave, our car broke down. It was amazing to see how much special attention we received with the car, the clothing, and other arrangements when folks heard that we were going to meet the President. All week we were honored at banquets, toured many key buildings, met with senators, and participated in workshops and press conferences. However, we did receive a major disappointment when we were informed that the President would not be able to meet with us because he was busy campaigning for reelection. Many of us were really upset and I suggested that we should all call the White House switchboard and complain. And so we flooded the switchboard and actually forced a major concession. The President would not be able to personally present the awards to us, but he would greet us on the South Lawn just before taking off in his helicopter for a trip to New York to campaign. And so on Friday, he greeted us and I had a chance to take his picture (now autographed and hanging in my office), shake his hand, and talk to him. We actually talked about a campaign trip he was to make the following Monday, to of all places ... Millersville ... just a few hundred yards from where I taught. Unfortunately, Dianne didn't get to shake his hand because of the press of the crowd behind us. Finally we watched him take off and wave as he flew away. Dianne and I then collected Fall leaves from the lawn before we left and the Secret Service was not very happy about that. We brought them home and used them to make bookmarks to give to our Awana clubbers. It was a very special time, but I learned several lessons on humility during this special event in our lives. When we left for Washington, the local grocery store posted a large sign that said "Congratulations to Barry Kauffman, PA's best math teacher!" I guess my head probably swelled when I saw that. But when we returned from our trip, I was replaced with a sign for a sale of ground beef and wild bird seed. Fame is fleeting. The second, and more humbling experience, was the call that we received informing us that one of my closest friends had died of a massive heart attack, almost at the very moment when I was talking to the President. While I was meeting the most powerful man in the world, Paul was meeting the Creator of the Universe. And that I will never forget. The scriptures remind us not to lay up for ourselves treasures here on earth - for they may rot, rust and decay, they may be stolen, and like honors, they fade away and are forgotten. One day my kids won't know what to do with all the great pictures and clippings I have of that trip - they will probably do what I am now forced to do with my dad's things - throw them out. Now 25 years have gone by and these special events and awards are only fading memories for a couple of us, forgotten and unknown by most. But treasures that we lay up in heaven are eternal - and that is my desire.

No comments: