Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Zip Code Needed

I've learned many interesting lessons during the past eight months while dealing with my father's estate. Two of these have surprised me. First is the difficulty I have had in getting firms to release money to you. They all like to delay and make you jump through all sorts of hoops to get from them what is no longer theirs. But that is a story for another time. The second lesson has to do with the mail. Right after dad died, I arranged to have his first class mail forwarded to my house. They will do that for a year and that has given us time to get most addresses changed. However, changing all addresses has been difficult since so many unknown organizations had dad's address for Bible Fellowship Church denomination business. For example, last week I had to sign for a certified letter from an engineering firm in Cape May, NJ, which was a notification about a zoning hearing. However, this sort of thing is to be expected. The real problem has come with the junk mail. We have no idea how all of these organizations got an address change - we certainly didn't notify them. But almost daily I receive a request for a donation, in dad's name, at my address. You wouldn't believe how many address labels and tablets with his name that I have received and discarded. For the first month or two I used my stamps to send back notes to these organizations telling them that he is deceased and should be dropped from their mailing lists. Most ignored these requests and I've stopped wasting my postage on them. However, a few of these "needy" groups include postage paid return envelopes. At their expense I include a note and send their request back. Most have still ignored this and they will continue to get the envelopes returned, at their expense. But the biggest offender is the Republican Party. They beg for donations and include postage paid envelopes. Today I received two more from them in the mail and these are also being returned. I've kept count and these are the 28th and 29th returned to them. Now let me think, 29 at 44 cents is $12.76 and growing. In fact in one of their pleas they included a dollar bill which they wanted returned - with a generous donation. The $1 was used towards my bill at breakfast. The breakfast was good - thank you Republicans for something positive. I've written funny notes and not-so-funny notes back to them. I've threatened to change my registration. I've challenged their fiscal integrity. Nothing has worked. So today I just reminded them, in both replies, how many I've now returned to them. With leadership like this, is it any wonder how screwed up our country has become? Well now it has just become a challenge to me, actually a big joke, and I will continue to keep track of the number as I return them in the mail. Oh yes, now I've included a change of address request with my returns. But, I'm just not sure if I should use the address of the Moravian Cemetery in Lititz of just use Heaven. Hmm, I wonder what the zip code is for heaven.

No comments: