Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Monday, December 7, 2009

Days To Remember

December 7, 1941 - a Day of Infamy. It was early in the morning that Pearl Harbor was attacked and the world was changed. For folks older than I am, it was a moment that they will never forget. It was one of those moments in history that you vividly recall exactly where you were when the event was announced. I was just a day over eight months old, so, of course, I don't remember that moment. But there are others that I do recall. I do remember some of the events that followed Pearl Harbor with concerns of my uncles who were serving around the world. I do remember blackouts here at home. I also remember my dad taking me downtown, in Wilmington, Delaware, to see the celebrations when the war was declared over. Much later in life, I recall where I was when it was announced that the Russians had launched Sputnik. I was driving to deliver medical goods when I heard the news on the radio. It would launch a new era of competition in space exploration. I recall watching the landing of the first manned space capsule which I viewed on tv in the student union at Susquehanna University. I also recall, years later, the night when man first walked on the moon. We were in an apartment at Florida State University, watching on television. One of the most crushing memories was receiving the word that President Kennedy had been shot. I was teaching an Algebra II class when it was announced. This is an event that many folks still recall. I recently talked to a former student who remembered being in my Algebra II class when that announcement was made. I remember hearing that Martin Luther King had been killed while I was driving to a church board meeting in Lancaster. I heard the news of Robert Kennedy's assassination on the radio while in bed. And I recall the news that President Regan had been shot while I was driving to a school meeting on the campus of Millersville. And, of course, most of us recall where we were on the morning of September 11. I was watching the news on television during a prep period at school. Like everyone, I was stunned and then I watched the events on television, in silence, with my students the remainder of the morning. And then we all have those personal events that we vividly remember, especially births and deaths. While our memory banks are already filled with memories of such events, I imagine that there will be many more to add during our lifetime. Unfortunately, many of them probably will not be pleasant. But there is a future promised event that I can hardly wait for it - a day that we shall never forget - the day Jesus returns to take His children home. He promised that one day He would return and His promises are secure. It seems to me that we seldom talk or even sing about this event now like we used to. But that doesn't change the reality of His promise. An old hymn asks the question, "Oh Lord Jesus, how long?" We don't know the answer to that question, but we should be waiting and watching in anticipation. The older I get, the more I hope each day that this will be the day. Titus 2:13 "Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ." It will be the most important day that you will ever remember. As my grandfather used to always say, "Keep looking for"!

No comments: