Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Things I Don't Understand

There are many things in life that I just don't understand ... How can you expect to win a war when you tell the enemy that you will only fight for 18 months and then begin to pull out? Duh! Wouldn' t the enemy understand that all they had to do was hang in there for 18 more months and the victory would be theirs? What am I missing? ... Many cities, such as Lancaster, are facing major deficits resulting in higher taxes. Why then should I be surprised to see a city work crew of four with only one working while the other three are sitting and just talking to each other? Union rules? ... When I try to buy Christmas stamps to send our Christmas cards I find that I have just four choices - snowmen/reindeer, the Virgin Mary, Chanukah, and the newest - holiday stamps for Moslems. Why can't I just get stamps showing Jesus in the manger, with shepherds? I guess we really aren't allowed to celebrate Christmas this way, after all it is only the celebration of the birthday of Jesus. ... If the malls are afraid to play "religious" songs at Christmas, why can't they at least select some holiday songs that are fun to listen to. I don't get too excited about a rendition of "We Wish You A Merry Christmas" done in almost every major language but English, or a rendition of "Jingle Bells" which sounds like the vocalist has fallen off the sleigh and is being drug behind the sleigh through the white and drifted snow. Of course, there is also "White Christmas" sung by a vocalist who sounds like she must already have frostbite. Where is Bing when you need him? Is he politically incorrect also? ... Why can't the state pass laws making it illegal to use hand-held cell phones or text when you are driving? Philadelphia has just done this, but not Pennsylvania ... And talking about laws, why can't we make the penalty for drunken driving an immediate five-year suspension of the driver's license? ... Why do pharmacies make the sick walk all the way to the back of the store to get their prescriptions? ... How much worse can promotions for TV shows get? They have now gone beyond the point of just being sexually suggestive, especially when they do things like talking about grabbing a breast! And these promotions are shown in prime time when kids are probably watching! ... Why are there handicap parking spaces in front of a skating rink! ... And maybe the most profound thing that I don't understand, Why do we buy hot dogs in packages of ten and buns in packages of eight or twelve? Guess I need to go and ponder some of these deep things. Or I could go and read Tiger's latest book, "My Shortest Drive".

1 comment:

Beth said...

Thanks for the laugh!