Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Monday, July 19, 2010

Yield

At times I wonder if we've moved. During these three summer months we are at Pinebrook Bible Conference seven times. It seems as though we are home just enough to wash our clothes, cut the grass, check the mail and pay bills, go to doctor appointments, and complete our church responsibilities. Our three day trip this week was unexpected but Pinebrook had an emergency need for a piano player and Dianne is helping them out again. It appears that she is doing most of the work here this summer while I am providing the transportation. The trip usually takes us about 2 hours and 20 minutes, depending upon traffic. I don't usually mind doing the driving except when construction and accidents create delays. Last Thursday it took us three hours to get home during the hot afternoon and I didn't enjoy the trip that time. However, coming here last night was rather easy - the traffic was light and the only accident we saw was on the opposite side where traffic was backed up for several miles. The biggest problem driving last night was the inconsiderate drivers who "merged" onto the highway, from the right, at fast speeds. It wasn't too bad when there was room in the passing lane to get out of their way. However, several times we would be trapped and we would either need to hit our brakes or hope that they would suddenly stop. I have come to the conclusion that there must be a new definition for the word yield. It must now mean hit the gas and try to beat the guy who has the right of way. They come at you at a high speed and then sometimes, if they do beat you, they then slow down and force you to hit your brakes or risk hitting them from behind. Common sense and good manners seem to be a thing of the past. Most drivers want their way, they want to be first. But maybe that is the way we often live our lives as Christians. We should be yielding to the Lord and His will constantly, but we often want our way. Instead of yielding, we ram ahead and fail to acknowledge Him. Sometimes we run ahead of Him. We want our ways and think we know best. Sometimes we suddenly need to hit our brakes to avoid a collision. All of us need to slow down, to recognize His presence, to yield to His will, and to let Him do the leading in our lives. The alternative to yielding to Him is to live a life filled with accidents and close calls.

No comments: