Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Traditions

I believe that good traditions are so very important for families and we've tried to create and continue many traditions for our grandchildren. Of course there are the special things like Christmas Eve together, the annual DVD I prepare for each of their families, and especially the singing of our family prayer before each meal. This particular tradition has been passed down through several generations and we continue it whenever we eat together. It unites our hearts and minds in thanksgiving for what Christ has done for us. But birthdays are also a special time of tradition. We allow each grandchild to choose their menu for their birthday meal. That is interesting because we have had anything from pizza and subs to more traditional meals such as ham. Our latest, just today, was pot pie, and it was good. Until they reach the age of 13, we also prepare a unique birthday cake with a shape that is a surprise and is special for the one being honored. Today's, as shown in the picture, was a violin, complete with licorice strings. I designed it, Dianne baked it, and together we cut and iced it. I'm not sure how many we've made over the years, but these original cakes have included such things as piano keys, dolphin, horse, cat, castle, butterfly, Christmas tree, panda, teddy bear, reindeer, Christmas stocking, crown, football, ark, Sparky Award, snowman, french horn, Brian Westbrook's uniform, an angel, soccer ball, soccer field, rollercoaster, clown, baseball bat, Batman symbol, and many more. Maybe we should produce our own cake book. They take much time and work and creativity, but it is fun and worthwhile. A few times the kids have probably wondered what they were, but usually it is obvious and they appreciate the special attention. We do give up this special cake dea when they are 13 and give them just a "normal" cake. But they still let us know what type of cake and icing they want. Now my mother never really did this for us, but she did have a special cake that she made for us with fruit filling between the layers. Often it was strawberry or blueberry filling, but my favorite was apricot. That would taste so good right now ... but it is just a memory. A memory of good times when my mother shared her special love and talent with me. And that is the type of memory that we hope our grandkids will have as they age and even after we are gone. Good traditions can build good memories and special bonds.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

mmmm I could go for a piece of grandmas layered apricot filling cake


Thanks for sharing uncle Barry
M