Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Do I Miss It?

It is hard to believe, but this is now the ninth year that I am retired and not heading back to school. And actually, I spent 55 years returning to school - 12 years in elementary and high school, 4 years in college, and 39 years as a teacher/administrator. That's a long time. Yesterday somebody asked if I missed it. I did really miss it the first year that I was retired and there are still some things that I do miss. I miss the computer in-service sessions where I was able to keep current with new technology and software. Now I must teach myself. I miss the excitement of new classes and new students each semester. New beginnings were always fun. I miss the excitement when vacations neared, especially Thanksgiving and Christmas. I actually miss grading tests - it was fun to see my students progress, although not all did. I miss many of the kids and the fun of supporting them in their activities, especially sports, music, drama and contests. Believe it or not, I miss Parents' Nights. I always enjoyed meeting the parents, some of whom were my former students. I enjoyed sharing with them my goals and expectations. And I do miss teaching in-service sessions for elementary teachers and working with my elementary math committee. They were always so gracious and appreciative. I also miss some of the staff members, especially at Central Manor Elementary School where I had my office for many years. I miss math conferences and conventions where I learned so much and met so many key contacts. But there are many things I don't miss. I don't miss leaving for school at 6:45 in the morning. I don't miss many of the required in-service programs, or the faculty meetings, or department meetings, or administrative meetings. Meetings, meetings, meetings! I don't miss assemblies and other duties supervising kids. - in the cafeteria, study hall, or parking lot. I don't miss evaluating teachers. I don't miss all the reports and paper work. I don't miss budget times with the usual required cuts. I don't miss having to make up snow days which always shortened other vacations. But considering all of the pros and cons, I was fortunate to have really enjoyed all of my years. But, alas, that was a different lifetime. Now I am enjoying retirement, even though I seem to be busier than ever. So in answer to the question that I was asked. Do I miss it? Not now. I saw a shirt that sums it up, "I'm retired, and you're not, na-na-na-na-na-na!" Enough said.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy it. Most of us will never got to experience retirement.