Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Who Will Make It?

If you are a baseball fan, you have to enjoy what is happening right now in the National League. With just two weeks left in the season, there are still six teams competing for four play-off positions. And several of these spots may not be decided until the last weekend when several of these teams play each other. That is much more exciting than the American League where all four play-off spots are already settled. What makes this race even more interesting is that three of the six teams - Philadelphia, San Francisco and Colorado - are there because they are finishing the season strong. Two of the teams - Atlanta and San Diego - led most of the year and are now struggling in the final weeks. And, of course, many of the other teams dropped out weeks and months ago. Now even if you aren't a baseball fan you probably can appreciate how this race models the lives of so many Christians. All six teams started the season at the same place and throughout the year they experienced many different trials and challenges. The Phillies, for example, had most of their starters on the disabled list at various times during the year. Yet they did not quit and they stayed in contention. And as I write this blog, they are finishing strong. Hopefully that will continue. But we all face different trials and challenges on our life journey and we may face them differently. Some grow closer to the Lord through them, while others quit and often even become bitter. And then as we face our senior years some just give up. Some "retire" from Christian service with the attitude "let the young folks do it." And, unfortunately, many do things which ruin their testimony and reputation. It is sad to see Christians who fall into sin or shift into neutral for the Lord. It is so sad to see those fail in their latter years. On the other hand, it is inspiring to see others who continue to grow in the Lord and serve Him, often despite physical challenges. I was encouraged a few weeks ago when I visited my aging aunt and uncle in Wisconsin. Despite a recent stroke and a move to a nursing home, their love for the Lord shines. There is no complaining, but there is thankfulness. That is what I call finishing strong. And how we finish our lives is our choice. We can be bitter or better. We will all face very difficult and unwanted challenges in our senior years. The question is, how will we react? How will we finish, and how will folks view our stretch run? My desire is to run the race well and finish strong. And that is much more important than winning a major league pennant and the praise of fans. For the scriptures tell is that our life race is being viewed by a cloud of witnesses and at the finish we will see the Lord. Let me encourage you to run well, with patience, and finish strong, keeping your eyes on Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith.

No comments: