Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

May I Pray For You?

Last week a friend of ours told us that while he was in the food court at Park City, a group of young people came to him and asked if they could pray for him. He shared some needs with them and then they gathered around him, placed hands on him, and prayed for him. He appreciated this unusual experience, It reminded me of a story I had heard at Pinebrook this summer. The speaker - I think he was from Arkansas - said that a team of young people from his church went to New York City on a summer missions trip. He was puzzled about what a group of southern young people could do to really minister to hardened New Yorkers. What they did was to set up tables on street corners with signs that said, "May we pray for you?" He was stunned to hear how many folks stopped by with requests to be prayed for. They had lines of people and even folks in cars waiting at stop lights who asked to be prayed for. They didn't preach or give out tracts - they just prayed and they met the needs of the people. Very interesting. It goes to show just how needy folks really are and how lonely they are. It also goes to show how folks have a longing for someone who cares and for something, or should I say "Someone" who can fill that void in their life. Most of us underestimate the power of prayer and probably fail to experience all that God would have for us. And we often criticize or separate ourselves from those who are prayer warriors and those who believe such "strange things" as "God could heal that disease". After all, they might be charismatic or part of a cult. You know, different than us. So sad. Well today I had an unusual experience. We were in the check-out line at Walmart. Standing behind Dianne was a young man who noticed the diet drinks that we were purchasing. He joked with Dianne about the drinks and how we must really like Diet Snapple. Then he surprised her by asking her if I were diabetic. After she said that I was, he then asked what my first name was. When she told him, he then asked if she thought that I would care if he prayed for me. She said she was sure that I wouldn't mind. Then he said that this had never happened to him before, but the Lord told him that I was diabetic and that he should pray for me. When I assured him that I wouldn't mind, he placed his hand on mine and prayed for my healing while we stood at the check-out counter. Now I admit that I've never thought of asking God to take my diabetes away. I don't know why. Maybe I just haven't had enough faith to think that God would do it. But I know He could if it was His will. I was thrilled that someone I didn't even know, cared enough to pray for me and my physical disability. I admit that I do get upset when folks pass me and say "how are you?" and don't wait for an answer. They don't really want an answer and they really aren't interested in how I am. I thank God for this uplifting experience. Was I healed? Probably not, but time will tell. I pray that I was. Was I encouraged? Yes! Was I challenged to be more fervent in prayer for others? Without a doubt. I realize now more than ever how much lives can be touched when somebody really cares - especially the lives of those of us who live each day, with smiles on our faces, hiding the pains in our heart.

No comments: