Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Attempted Murder?

There are a number of things that bother me and one of the worst of these is smokers. I find them to be inconsiderate, often lighting up in your presence. I find them to be dirty, throwing their butts on the ground or out the car window. I find them to stink - you can smell a smoker from a distance even if they aren't smoking - the smell clings to them. Fortunately they can no longer spoil my meals or my motel stays. However, up to a few days ago I did pity them because not only were they wasting their money, but they were committing suicide with their habits. But now I am angry with them because they could also be killing me and my family. The latest U. S. Surgeon's report on tobacco says that even one occasional whiff of secondhand smoke can damage DNA in ways that lead to cancer. For someone with underlying heart disease, exposure to "one" cigarette can cause a heart attack. Even before this news, I have never been afraid to tell smokers what I thought. Once at a baseball game and once on a tour bus, I told smokers that they could continue smoking but that it often made my wife ill and made her throw up. That warning was effective. One of the things that really upsets me happens at Park City. Despite signs that are meant to stop smoking with 50 feet of the entrances, the smokers - especially young ladies - like to gather at the entrance ways to smoke. The ban there never seems to be enforced. So when we go to walk for our health, we often have to walk through clouds of unhealthy smoke to enter or leave the center. The front door is the worst spot featuring numerous smokers sitting and standing there and dozens of butts all over the ground. We avoid that door and use another one - yesterday we only counted about thirty butts on the ground there as we left at the side door at Penneys. It is amazing how times have changed. During World War II, the government actually issued cigarettes to our soldiers. I am told that about 75% of the population smoked at that time. As a teen I didn't smoke because of "religious" reasons, not because of health concerns. Then in recent years warnings were put on the packages and smoking bans began to appear in public places. Now about 20% of the population smokes, despite serious warnings about the consequences. It is especially sad to see that the smoking rate for young girls has increased dramatically. Now that there is new evidence of the risk caused by just an occasional exposure to secondhand smoke, I feel that all smoking should be illegal. But with our strong tobacco lobby that will never happen. And with the large amount of tax money that comes from sales, that will never happen. I wonder what our local Amish think about this new report? What is the answer? I don't know, but I am not going to sit back and let people blow smoke in my face without a protest. Wouldn't you say that smoking in my presence is now attempted murder? Let them kill themselves, but they have no right to attempt to kill me or my family. I have rights as well. What do you think?

No comments: