Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Monday, December 13, 2010

The Pledge - One More Time

I can't help but make a few more comments about the flag pledging controversy mentioned in my previous blog. There were three more letters about it in this morning's newspaper, including one from the 14 students who were in the class. They want us to look at them. They say, "we are not the disrespectful bullies some members of the community have made us out to be." They add "we also do not believe that standing for the Pledge of Allegiance is a measure of our patriotism. We consider ourselves patriotic Americans and value our freedoms as citizens and students." Really? I can't help but question this statement or their understanding of patriotism. They go on to say, "some of us are considering careers in the military." Wow, good luck kids. I'm sure in the service you will have the freedom to do what you want - to pledge or not to pledge! No way! That would be humorous if it weren't so sad. You kids have so much to learn. They also share how they some of them have volunteered and served the community. But I really love this statement. "If we are forced to recite the Pledge, we are no better than any other communist country." Other? Double wow! Kids, you have no idea what a communist country is like. One thing is sure, in such a country you would have NO freedom to choose not to pledge to their flag. It would be pledge or be sent to prison - or maybe worse. Reading this letter made me feel sick and sorry for these kids. Once again they are defending their lack of courtesy and good manners and have no idea what patriotism really is. It's just another sign of a generation that has been spoiled and given all that they want. And they want all their "rights" without any of the responsibilities of citizenship. I would have at least felt a little better if they would have accepted and admitted their rudeness in this whole situation. An apology would have been the right thing to offer. But I guess an apology would not have been sincere when they "have their rights", including the right to be rude. God help America!

No comments: