Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Sleepless in Millersville (and not Seattle)!

I just heard the clock chime three times. It's 3 am. I've heard it chime every 15 minutes most of the night. It is one of those sleepless nights that most of us face at times. I've experienced such nights when I've eaten the wrong things before going to bed. I've reached the point that caffeine will keep me awake. But there was no caffeine this time ... Sometimes the problem is physical. I have lived with back problems for years and at times the pain and discomfort make it impossible for me to stay in bed. Instead I often head for my recliner and the heating pad. But there are no physical problems tonight ... Sometimes it is concern for a sick loved one. I remember the nights walking with sick kids thinking the morning would never come. I remember the kids, or my wife, finally falling asleep with a fever or a cough and then I would lay there praying that they would sleep even for a few hours. But no loved one is ill tonight ... Sometimes it is the excitement of a big event the next day, like the first day of school, or a trip. As a student and a teacher, I always had trouble sleeping the night before school began. Often for me it would be the concern of oversleeping and being late for the first day or for an event or a trip. But there is nothing major planned for the morning, except going for a blood test, and that shouldn't keep me awake ... Sometimes it is concerns or worries that keep us sleepless. Now I know that worry is a sin and I admit that is one of the sins that I battle. I can vividly recall the night before my father died that I was awake all night "worrying" about how bad his health had become and how we would get him to the hospital in the morning for his scheduled transfusion. But the Lord took care of that. I worry about the results of medical tests. I worry about problems with the house. I worry about my children and my grandchildren. And I certainly know better and, despite my actions, I do trust the Lord. And He has never failed. But I don't know that I am worrying about anything tonight ... Sometimes the weather keeps us awake. Heavy storms with heavy lightening and thunder or strong winds can keep me sleepless. But things are calm here tonight in Millersville ... Sometimes we can't sleep because of bad news that we've received or because of the actions of others. Been there, done that. But not tonight ... Sometimes we can't sleep because of decisions to be made. What should we do? Those times can be very difficult until we finally find peace. But I don't have any major decisions to make, at least not in the near future ... Sometimes as we get older we can't sleep because of naps we take during the day. I guess that could be a problem at times for me and I did take an afternoon nap today. That is one of the perks of being retired ... And then sometimes there just doesn't seem to be a reason why we can't sleep. And that really seems to be the case tonight. There are three things that I often do on nights like this. Sometimes I head to my recliner to change position. Quite often I turn on the radio and listen to the beautiful Christian music on WDAC. I've grown up with that station and the Lord often calms my soul with music. Didn't David play the harp for Saul to relax him? But the major thing I do is pray. My best prayer times are nights like this when I can cover my regular prayer list and then pray about many of the people and needs that I often miss during the day. These are special times. I wonder if the Lord might keep me awake at times so I spend these hours, uninterrupted, with Him. Maybe He does. And it is good to know that He doesn't sleep. Psalm 121:4 reminds us "Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep." And as far as worry goes, Psalm 4:8 reminds us "I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety." I just heard the clock chime four. So with that, I think that I will go and "lay me down in peace and sleep". Sweet dreams! Sleep tight! And as we used to say before it could be a reality, don't let the bedbugs bite!

No comments: