Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Looking Forward To Retiring?

What the job gets tough and the boss becomes demanding, it is human nature to look forward to retirement. This can be true not only in your job but in ministry situations as well. But retirement from a job has many problems - dropping returns on investments, the high cost of medical insurance, and increasing living costs just to name a few. But an even bigger problem is the emotional loss of being important or needed and adjusting to the loss of a daily schedule. One of the things a retired person will soon find out is that you and your experience are often no longer needed or wanted. This can be hard. In recent years I've faced that situation in two positions that I held for over 30 years. In one case my decision was easy and I knew it was the right time to do it. In the other it was hard to do but probably necessary because of the opinions expressed to me by others. And in both situations it quickly became obvious that I was no longer needed. Now I am over both situations, but it was hard and many retirees have real trouble adjusting to those dramatic changes in their lives. Over the years I have watched many folks face these decisions with different reactions. I recall once at Pinebrook talking to a group of seniors from a church who proudly proclaimed that they had dropped out of everything at church and were leaving it to the young folks. I found that to be sad. Some times old folks do stand in the way of young folks, but there should be a way to balance the two. The young should be mentored by the old, but often neither are willing to do this. Then I've seen folks hang on too long to a position and they've ruined their reputation. Take quarterback Bret Favre for instance. He was once one of the best quarterbacks to ever play football but his several unsuccessful attempts to "unretire" made him the object of many comedians. Then there are those who continue to hang on and control things when they are still working with a mindset from the previous century. They can't give up their control. Does the name Joe Paterno ring a bell? I admit that I also get bothered by seniors who continue in leadership positions forcing their opinions on major decisions which will greatly affect people long after when they themselves will have passed away. Some seniors fail to listen and adapt to others around them when they feel they have all the wisdom. So often we seniors get so stuck in our ways that we can't accept the wisdom of others and adapt to a changing world. It is sad that businesses and ministries can't find a way to blend the wisdom of older folks with the enthusiasm and perspective of younger ones. But that isn't the spirit of this age. Young is in, old is out. So are you growing older and thinking of retiring from work or from a ministry? If it is a job you will be leaving, make sure that you have counted the costs financially. It is not easy to afford full retirement. Prices of everything continue to grow and your retirement money probably won't grow at the same rate. Also measure your effectiveness in what you are now doing honestly and don't stay longer than you should. But look for ways to mentor your possible replacements, especially in ministry. And look for ways that you can still be respected for your wisdom without forcing yourself to be in charge, making key decisions that will impact others and possibly not yourself. And that is hard. Don't stop learning and picking up new skills - especially technological skills. This will keep your mind sharp and give you more options in the future. Be a life long learner. And be prepared to adjust mentally if your experience and wisdom are no longer valued or wanted after you leave. That is sad, but it happens to many of us. I know that from experience. But there is life after retirement, if you seek God's will and prepare for that time.

No comments: