Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, September 17, 2011

A Special Project

It was a challenge I wanted to accept, but I wasn't given enough time to complete it to my satisfaction. But after I said "no", they reconsidered and gave me more time. The project? Complete a series of dvds showing the history and growth of our church over the past 61 years. They are to be used to kickoff a debt reduction campaign. Given the additional time, I began the project with several reservations. First, I didn't know where I would find about 140 pictures that I would need. I did get some great cooperation from some folks, ran into unexpected problems with others, and never did locate a picture of our fourth pastor, Rev. Norman Weiss. Second, I could not use pictures of everyone and unfortunately there would be several of the Kauffmans included since we have been a major part of the church since its founding in 1950. Third, it would be impossible to include all the ministries and missions trips that we have experienced over the years. And I imagine that there will be some who will be upset that they and their experiences were not used. Given more time and another dvd, maybe I could have improved this. But I have done the best that I can. A year ago I did write a series of blogs on our 60th anniversary, but compiling three dvds has been a much more challenging project. However, I have enjoyed it. The theme is "Great Is Thy Faithfulness" and that certainly has been very true. We have come a long way from our first service in a tent, with 28 in attendance, to last week when we had 671 in attendance. In the early years we grew about 10% every year and we have always been able to pay our bills on time and pay off our debts earlier than expected. We started in a tent, moved to rented rooms in Malta Temple, built a building and later two additions, sold our building, moved to the Ramada Inn, transitioned to the old Calvary Church and then built our new building on Donerville Road. It has been a great journey and if the Lord tarries, the journey will continue as we face the future challenge of expanding our facilities. We are quickly outfrowing them. But I think the greatest memory that I have had in this project are the great leaders which the Lord has raised up over the years. He has always provided us with godly pastors, but He has blessed us with skilled, dedicated leaders. I was only nine when the church was organized but I distinctly remember the sacrifices that the founding leaders made to establish our church. I can remember the hours they gave in labor to help save money on the first building. I often wonder if people would do that today. I remember the struggles of being a small congregation but I also remember the hope and motivation that resulted. I also benefited personally because there were many needs and few to fill them in a young church. So I started teaching Sunday School as a junior higher. I led the entire children's department as a senior higher. During that time I also directed the first church choir. I was one of the early youth group presidents. These were valuable experiences that young people in larger churches rarely have. I thank the Lord for them. And so, as I complete this project, I have become even more thankful that the Lord allowed me to be part of this church body since its beginning. As far as we know, I am the only remaining living charter member. And over the years, my parents (charter members), my brother and sister and their spouses, my sons and their wives, and all of my grandchildren have been part of this body - many in leadership positions. And for that blessing, I say thank you, Lord! God is so good and God is so faithful!

No comments: