Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Speed Wins!

"Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth", 2 Timothy 2:15. That is the key verse of Awana, an exciting ministry for children that we have been involved in for 30 years. One of the activities used to encourage boys and girls to study and memorize the scriptures is the annual Bible quiz. Yesterday we spent 3.5 hours watching clubbers from numerous Awana clubs compete in this annual event. It is an exciting day and it is impressive to see these third through sixth graders respond to the questions. The quiz has three parts. One part is a written test which they all take. In this event all clubbers can earn a perfect score. The second event is a paddle quiz. Teams of two compete against each other using paddles labeled A, B, and C. When the question is asked and an answer is called for, all competing clubbers hold up a paddle to indicate their answer. So in this event all clubbers and teams could again earn perfect scores. The final round is a speed round in which all clubbers in that division have a button to push when they think they know the answer. So only one clubber gets the points for each question. In most cases the buzzer is pushed before the question is even completed. Then the clubber must answer in front of the 300 who are watching. When the answer is a verse, it must be said word perfect within 30 seconds. Now that is pressure. And this is the part that really determines who the are the winning teams and individuals. And I admit that I have very mixed feelings about this round. It is fascinating and impressive to see clubbers answer so quickly and so completely. But it is also hard to watch those who buzz in and then have their mind go blank when they are forced to answer. This round and the championships go not only to those who have prepared well, but to those who are aggressive and confident. Our clubbers are always prepared well but don't do well in this round because they are tentative and afraid of making a mistake in front of this many people. And I can understand that. I would have done well in the written and paddle rounds because I would have been prepared. But I would never have gotten any points in the speed round because I am an analyzer and need time to think through my answers before I speak. I also had a very bad experience, when I was in seventh grade, which still haunts me decades later. I was chosen out of the audience as the seventh grade representative to participate in an assembly in front of all the students, grades 7-12, at Lititz High School. Each grade representative was to watch a brief presentation by members of the library club and then identify the story. As it turns out, I was to identify the story of Esther. But my mind went blank and I had no answer. My self esteem took a big hit that day. Now nobody remembers that event except me but it took me years to regain my confidence to do something in front of a large group. And even today that "humiliation" still haunts me. So I have real empathy for those who have similar situations as some did yesterday. But I also have no alternatives to offer to Awana. For about 15 years I annually conducted three public math bowls in my school district for students in 4th, 5th and 6th grade. These were exciting. My format was similar with a written round, a round where all teams could get credit for each question, and then a speed round where three teams would receive points depending upon the order of their correct answers. But in that case the teams would show their answers to judges so that no individual was ever really put on the spot. That seemed to work well. But even though the Awana speed round stirs up bad memories for me, the quizzing is still a worthwhile event. I am sorry that more Awana clubs don't participate but I am glad that our kids do. And really, there may be disappointed clubbers, but there shouldn't be any losers, for the Bible itself reminds us that "Thy Word have I hid in my heart that I might not sin against Thee." And what better reward could there be.

No comments: