Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Disappointment But Profitable Anyway

Today we are in Chicago. We completed Awana Commanders College 301 yesterday and tomorrow we fly home. We had planned today to make the trip to Rhinelander, Wisconsin to visit my aunt and uncle. It is a six hour drive each way and we were planning to drive the 12 hours to spend a few hours with them. We were really looking forward to being with them. However, God had other plans for us. The midwest was hit with very dangerous and devastating weather and today's forecast called for severe storms, heavy winds, hail, and possible tornados all along our route during the times we would go and return. So about 5 am we made the difficult decision to cancel our plans and stay here in Chicago. What a major disappointment, but rather safe than sorry. So we decided to go to the early service at Willow Creek. We had been there twice before, years ago. However, that was before they built their 7,200 seat auditorium. It is hard to describe the place if you have never been there but there are all sorts of large worship areas for various age groups. There is a large bookstore, large dining areas, and numerous areas where you can purchase meals of all types. When we were there the last time I had two observations that I haven't forgotten. First, the congregation applauded the pastor when he was done and then much of the crowd ran out to the restaurant in another part of the building. Today there were large staffed areas to greet visitors. CD's and DVD's of the service were available to purchase right after the service concluded. There were banks of computers to locate information about the facilities and programs. And, if you didn't have access to the internet at home, you could use these to sign up for things at the church. No old fashioned sign up lists here. When the doors opened to the auditorium, we were greeted warmly by the church greeters who were all over the auditorium. Unfortunately, that was the last time we were greeted or welcomed by anybody, except a few of our friends from the Awana conference. I guess that is one of the problems with a large church. We came and went and nobody will ever realize that we were there and that we probably won't be back again. The service itself featured excellent use of technology and an upbeat praise team of talented musicians. Actually, while it was a little loud at times for me, the music was very well done and was very worshipful. I especially was touched with the way they led "How Great Is Our God" which is one of my favorites. I don't know who the speaker was. It obviously wasn't the senior pastor who we've missed each time we've been there. He shared Psalm 100 with the theme of using music to praise, thank, and worship God. It was well done and very challenging. All the worship music emphasized and was built on that theme. It was especially interesting to me that the Psalm he chose concluded with "His truth endures to all generations". The theme of our Awana conference was legacy - leaving a legacy for your Awana club, for your church, and for your family. The Psalm was an appropriate exclamation mark for our four days here. Yes, it was a major disappointment to not get to Rhinelander as planned, but I needed to be in a full worship service, something I haven't had the opportunity to do in several months. I guess the Lord knew I needed that. God is good all the time. And, incidentally, while I am writing this, we still haven't had any rain, wind, hail, or storms!

No comments: