Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Fore!

When I was younger I really followed most sports closely, but for a variety of reasons that has changed as I've gotten older. Today my interests are basically college football (Penn State in particular), the Phillies, the Eagles and post season pro football, the NCAA basketball championship rounds, some college volleyball matches, and the summer Olympics. That's about it. Tennis matches are too long, soccer is so boring, and I'm still not sure why they call NASCAR a sport. Now there are times that I do enjoy the final holes of a big golf tournament. I did enjoy the end of the Masters last weekend - it was exciting and there were some great shots. But other than that, I'm not into golf. Years ago I did some golfing, but it always made my back problems worse, so I gave it up. Think about how much money I have saved over the decades. But golf is a way of life for many folks. Recently I read a number of interesting quotes about the game. Let me share some of them with you. (1) "The ardent golfer would play Mount Everest if somebody would put a flag stick on top."-- Pete Dye (2)"Golf is played by twenty million mature American men whose wives think they are out having fun." - Jim Bishop (3) "It took me seventeen years to get three thousand hits in baseball. I did it in one afternoon on the golf course."-- Hank Aaron (4) "Golf is a game in which you yell "fore," shoot six, and write down five." -- Paul Harvey (5) "Have you ever noticed what golf spells backwards?" -- Al Boliska (6) "The only time my prayers are never answered is on the golf course." -- Billy Graham (7) "Go play golf. Go to the golf course. Hit the ball. Find the ball. Repeat until the ball is in the hole. Have fun. The end." -- Chuck Hogan (8) "If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball." -- Jack Lemmon (9) "It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling."-- Mark Twain (10) "Golf is a game in which one endeavors to control a ball with implements ill adapted for the purpose." -- Woodrow Wilson (11) "They call it "golf" because all the other four-letter words were taken." -- Raymond Floyd.

No comments: