Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Deja vu? Allmost


On November 6, 1994, my parents were shopping.  On the way home, late afternoon, a teenager ran a stop sign and hit them on the passenger side of their car. My mother was seated there.  Emergency personnel told us that they think mother may have died instantly.  She was 72.  My dad was taken to the hospital where he stayed for a few days under observation.  We were at a Penn State football game and since they couldn't reach us, they called my oldest son who met them at the hospital.  On January 8, 2013, we were shopping and were on our way home, also in the late afternoon.  A 77 year old lady ran a red light and hit us on the passenger side where my wife was seated.  Dianne is 72.  Thank the Lord we were not injured seriously and while we waited to have our car towed we called our oldest son who came and picked us up.  At the time we were very shocked since, like my parents, we didn't see it coming when we were hit.  It was shortly after our accident that we began to see the similarities in the two situations. Deja vu?  But there were some major differences.  The most important of these is that Dianne was not killed or seriously injured.  The impact to my parents was at a 90 degree angle.  Our impact was about 45 degrees, sparing us serious damage and injury or death.  In my parents' accident, the driver, upon the advice of his parents, left the scene before the police could check him for alcohol or drugs.  We still suspect he may have been drinking as well as  speeding.  In our case the driver stayed until our car was towed away.  She just claims that she didn't see us - we don't know if she might have been on her phone or if she just didn't see the traffic light.  She had to just miss a van that must have crossed in front of her seconds before she hit us. None of the many witnesses to our accident stayed to help us or make a report.  But we thank the Lord once again for His protection.  We never know what a day will bring and that is why it is so important to know that we are right with the Lord.  In seconds one could be with Him or even elsewhere if they aren't in God's family.  We always pray for safety when we take longer trips, but I must admit that I don't usually do it for the short ones.  And yet with all the crazy, inattentive drivers on the road, we need His protection, moment by moment.   And it appears that we will get our car back and it won't be totaled as we thought.  We were looking to trade it in or sell it and having it totaled would have made that decision easier, but I guess the Lord has other plans right now for the car ... and for us.

No comments: