Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Special Traditions


Like most families, we have numerous Christmas traditions.  Ours include gathering at our house after the Christmas Eve Candlelight Service, enjoying a buffet and then exchanging presents.  For years we have read the Christmas story from Luke and prayed before opening the presents.  When our boys were younger we made it a point each year to give them a Bible study book and some tool for their toolbox as part of their gifts.  But in recent years our gift giving has gone a different direction.  Since 2005 I have annually prepared a DVD for each of our families that contains pictures taken throughout the year, highlighting special events such as birthdays, graduations, awards, etc.  I have always chosen background music for the DVD which has a special message.  This year it was "Ten Thousand Reasons".  I also include a special Bible verse for the year. This year it wa Psalm 128:1.  We view this DVD before presents are opened.  But several years ago I began another tradition for my grandchildren.  I have been preparing a book for them, sharing stories and pictures from my life and from the lives of those in our family lines.  I've entitled the book "In His Grip" and the key verse is Isaiah 41:13.  With the six pages I prepared for this year, the total pages in their book is now 106 (many of these can actually be found on the website fbfawana.com)  Some of the highlights in the book are chapters about my dad, my father-in-law, my brother, my grandparents and people who have influenced my life.  Many chapters show how God has worked in my life  in experiences and events throughout the years  There are even some letters from my grandparents and pictures of all the family members I could find.  There are family trees which trace the Herrold line back to 1555 in Germany and the Kauffman line back to 1780 when three brothers came to America.  Realizing that there is so much of  our family history that is now gone with the deaths of our parents, I have had a challenge to pass on as much of this rich heritage as I can.  This year my wife decided to follow the tradition which I have been developing and she prepared the beginnings of a book about her family and background.  This year she shared ten pages which she prepared about her life and that of her mother and father.  Some special family pictures were included.  I'm not sure if our grandchildren appreciate this work now, but I think the time will come - probably after we are gone - that they will value this work.  It is my desire not only to share pictures and details about our history, but, more importantly, details about how the Lord has worked and led in our lives.  My greatest desire is to see my grandchildren learn to love and serve the Lord and trust Him in all that they do.  He has been so faithful to me over the years and my hope is that someday they will each have the same testimony to share.  Traditions are important in family life, but those that point our children to the Lord are vital.

No comments: