Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Monday, June 2, 2014

A Half Century


          I continually find it so very difficult to understand that I am now actually in my seventh decade of life.  So much has changed over those years, especially in the last half century.  Unless you have lived that long you probably have no appreciation of the many breakthroughs that have happened during that period of time.  Here are a few of the  changes just in scientific and technological advances during those years that have transformed the world.
         How about the tv remote control - now even with voice recognition.  How would we survive without the remote - we'd have to actually get out of our comfortable seat to change the cable station.  Incidentally, cable service didn't even exist 50 years ago.? Then of course there is the microwave oven.  How did previous generations get along without that kitchen fixture?  There is the commercial jet airliner.  The first one made its debut in 1958 and carried 181 passengers at 600 mph for up to 5280 miles on a full tank.  The first one took off from New york and landed in Paris.
         Then there was the introduction of cordless tools - what handyman or carpenter could survive without these handy devices today?   Along with that was the development of an industrial robot first installed on a General Motors assembly line in New Jersey.  And what about the development of communications satellites?  Certainly they have revolutionized communications around the world.  Then there was the development of LED's which provided a simple and inexpensive way for computers to convey information.  And unmanned aerial vehicles soon followed ... and now we have drones.
        Now the first general-purpose computer, the nearly 30-ton ENIAC was actually introduced more than 50 years ago in 1947 (that's still in my lifetime).  It had 18,000 vacuum tubes, 70,000 resistors and 10,000 capacitors.  But in 1977 the Apple II, Commodore Pet and Radio Shack's TRS-80 were introduced, four years before the "PC", or the Personal Computer, was introduced by IBM.  In 1989 the "hypertext markup language" (HTML) was developed and this was the foundation of today's World Wife Web.  And oh how all of these computer developments have changed all of our lives.
      We could mention things like digital music, video games, waffle-sole running shoes, and the ATM, all products of these years.  And then, in 1973 the first cellphone was introduced followed six years later by the Sony Walkman.  And life changed radically and today folks can't be separated from their cell phones and Smart phones and their family plans.  And how about things like the electric ignition, the MRI, the GPS, MP3, Pacemakers, Super Glue, Laser Beams, texting, hybrid cars, air conditioning, graphing calculators, Hi-def, ipads and DNA.  Fifty years ago these terms meant nothing to any of us.
        Now I have been thinking primarily about scientific and technological changes, but there is so much more that has changed during these years.  We could talk about politics, entertainment, laws, culture, religion, education, geography, morality, transportation, terrorism and so much more.  This world is obviously much different than it was 50 years ago.
         Personally there are many things that have really changed about me over those years. I've had a 39 year career in education and many years in ministry.  Of course I am now retired. I have a wonderful family of three boys, three daughter-in-laws and seven grandchildren.  Those are wonderful changes that I would not change for anything.  And June 2 is our 52nd wedding anniversary and my love for my wife has grown continually over these years.  She is my best friend and confidant and there is nobody I'd rather be with.
         During these years my love for the Lord has also changed - it has grown deeper and our relationship has grown closer.  I realize more than ever how dependent I am on Him.  Each day is a gift from Him and His grace is sufficient.  But one thing that hasn't changed is His faithfulness - morning by morning new mercies I see.  All I have needed His hand hath provided.  And while life will continue to change, I depend upon His promise that He will never leave me nor forsake me and that He is now preparing a home for me in heaven.  And on that my hope and life is built as I face tomorrow.  Jesus, the same yesterday, today and forever.

No comments: