Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Friday, June 27, 2014

Old?


          Who do you think is old?  I admit that at one time in my life I thought that a person who was 60 was really old.  Now that is young.  And apparently I'm not alone in that type of thinking.  Recently I read the results of a survey done by AARP in which they asked 1,800 Americans what getting older has been like for them so far.
          The first part of the survey asked "how old is old".  85% of those responding, between the ages of 40 and 90, said that they weren't old.  One 90-year-old women said that a woman isn't old until she hits 95.  People in their 40's said that you were old at 63.  Those in their 50's said at 68.  Those in their 60's said 73 and those in their 70's said 75.  Both men and women in general said that a man is old when he is 70.  So I guess I qualify.  Concerning women, men said that she is old at 68 and women said at 75.  Interesting difference in opinion.
          It also appears to many that aging actually gets easier.  58% of those in their 40's said that their physical health did not hold them back from doing what they wanted to do but surprisingly 69% of those in their 70's said the same thing.  39% of those in their 40's said that growing older has been easier than they thought, while 55% of those in their 70's agreed with that statement.  Only 24% of those in their 40's said that they have more energy now than they expected at their age, while 64% of those in their 70's said the same thing.
          Respondents were asked to to agree or disagree with these three statements.  (1)  As people age they deserve more respect from others.  60% of those in their 40's agreed while only 46% of those in their 60's agreed.  (2)  It's OK to make jokes about people who are old.  28% of those in their 40's agreed and 43% of those in their 70's agreed.  I guess I need to be a little more careful about doing this.  (3)  I feel respected when a younger person offers help.  21% of those in their 40's agreed while 61% of those in their 70's agreed.  Unfortunately, that doesn't happen too often today.
          And then there was a final statement to evaluate.  I know I'll enjoy sex no matter how old I am.  66% of those in their 40's agreed, 61% of those in their 50"s agreed, 56% of those in their 60's agreed and 59% of those in their 70's agreed.  71% of the men agreed but only 51% of the women agreed.  I will pass on commenting about this question.
          Let me share two quotes with you.  Dave Barry has said, "almost half of the people over 40 believe they look younger than they are.  This says something important about older Americans: We have terrible eyesight."  And Whoopi Goldberg has said, "There's only one alternative to getting older.  So suck it up!"
          Fortunately the Bible has much to share about growing old.  In Isaiah 46:4 we read, "Even to your old age, I shall be the same, even to your graying years I shall bear you! I have done it and I shall carry you: And I shall bear you, and I shall deliver you."  In Psalm 37:25 we read "I have been young and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread."  And finally, Psalm 92:14, " They will still bear fruit in old age, they will stay fresh and green."


No comments: