Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Lessons Learned Recently


          I have had eight surgeries in my lifetime.  Two of them I would term major.  The first was my knee surgery in 2000 when they had to repair a torn patella and my quads.  There was concern about how I would recover and if I might walk with a limp the rest of my life.  The second was my recent cervical spine surgery where, because of the problems, there was a chance that I could be paralyzed or even worse.
        A few blogs ago I talked about the challenge of recovery. But at the risk of boring my readers, I feel I should share some lessons that I have learned this past month.  My knee surgery recovery took much longer.  I was not even allowed to bend my knee for six weeks.  But I think it was easier than my present recovery.  Following that surgery I spent months in physical therapy so I was busy with things to do each day.  In addition, since I was teaching advanced math classes for which there was no capable sub available, I prepared daily lesson plans, corrected papers, prepared and scored tests and assigned grades for the marking period and for the semester.  So I was busy every day.
          This time I have been limited - no driving or lifting more than 5 pounds - for the past month.  I don't have physical therapy sessions yet nor do I have school work to do this time.  So the days have been long.  But there are some lessons that I have learned.
          (1)   It is very hard to rely on a caregiver when you are feeling well enough to do things.  My wife has done so much, not only for me, but around the house and especially the yard.  She claims she enjoys cutting grass, but it is hard for me to see her take her valuable time to do things like this.  But you need to accept it and be glad that you have the help.
          (2) There are many things that just won't get done.  My wife has done a valiant job in trying to do the outside work without me.  But the mulching won't get done this year, some trimming will need to wait, and the weeds might be worse than normal this year.  But in the scheme of things, this really isn't major.
          (3)  Television is terrible.  It only took me a couple of days to realize how bad it really is.  And the repeated ads drive you nuts.  There should be a law that says once an ad is shown ten times, it can never be used again.  And the ad that baffles me is by Infinity where they promote their service that allows you to tape and watch 15 shows at one time.  Tell me, where are there even 3 shows worth taping or viewing.
          (4)   Get well cards are appreciated.  I know they are expensive today, but when you are confined they are something to look forward to, especially if personal messages of encouragement are included.  Sorry, but they are more meaningful that electronic cards.  I am so appreciative of the two dozen or so that I have received.
         (5)  After the worst of the pain is over, brief visits by friends are also appreciated.  By brief I mean 30 minutes or less.  When I had my knee surgery we had a few folks who came and stayed well over an hour.  I couldn't wait until they left.  After all, I was still recovering from major surgery.
         (6)   Meals are appreciated.  Even though Dianne could cook, the donated meals gave her a break from all that she had to do to care for me.
          (7)   Everybody seems to have a surgery story they want to share with you.  But sharing the stories of your surgeries doesn't really help the recovering person unless it was the exact same type of surgery.  I have had numerous folks relate to me stories of their lower back surgeries.  And I have tried to be kind and not say that my surgeon told me that when they see a cervical problem they take that patient right away because of its potential seriousness.  When they have a patient with lower back problems, it will often take two or three months before they even see them because while the person may be in pain, it usually isn't a critical situation.  I did hear from a few folks who did have similar surgeries and I was glad to compare notes with them.  I can't say that the others really helped me at all. But I polltely listened. However, I guess one definition of major surgery is any surgery when it is done to you.
          (8)    Follow the advice of your surgeon.  I have done that faithfully with my knee and spine surgeries.  However, others don't and some live to regret it.  I feel that the surgeons have the experience and I don't.  So even though it takes discipline, I obey.  From what I have been told, my recovery from the knee surgery was exceptional and I am hoping that the same will be said eventually about my spine surgery.
         (9)   Many folks are rude to those with handicaps.  While walking with my cane and my neck brace I have had people cut in front of me, bump me, race me to the doors and be just plain rude. Few have held doors for me or let me go ahead of them. However, I am thinking of inventing a new game to play with my cane.  I think I may call it "Whack a Rude".  It could be fun!
          (10)   The Lord is good.  This is not a new lesson.  I have learned this over 73 years.  But this recovery period has reinforced it.  God knew this would happen.  He put the events into gear so that my problem would be discovered.  He gave me the very best surgeon immediately.  He guided the surgeon beyond even his expectations.  He has given me a good recovery.  He has given me more time to pray and meditate and spend with Him and that is a bonus.  And he has given me much unexpected valuable time with my wife.  I have enjoyed the hours with her at home and in the car as she drives me around. We enjoy being together.  And that has been a special blessing.
          Hopefully this is the last time I will address the subject of recovery in my blog.  I return on Wednesday for my first checkup since my surgery and I am hopeful that many of my restrictions will then be lessened or eliminated.  If not, life goes on.

No comments: