Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Friday, August 1, 2014

Anxiety


          Anxiety - a noun meaning a feeling of worry, nervousness, or unease, typically about an imminent event or something with an uncertain outcome.  I think we all know the meaning of this since it is something that we all experience at various times in our life.
          I've watched many folks experience this in many different ways.  For some it related to a job change or loss.  For some it related to dealing with a wayward child.  For some it related to a new beginning, such as starting college or a new job.  For some it related to a message from a doctor about a test result.  For some it related to a financial concern.  For some it related to a decision that needed to be made.  For some it related to a loss of a loved one.
          Personally, my greatest times of anxiety have usually related to the illness of a loved one.  Our oldest needed emergency surgery when he was only four months old.  That was a time of great anxiety.  All three of our boys used to break out in very high fevers, becoming almost delirious at times.  Usually this happened in the middle of night.  I recall many nights sitting with a sick child, praying and thinking that daylight would never arrive.  I recall the sleepless night I had before I found my father had passed away when I went for him the next morning.  All night I wrestled with anxiety wondering what we could do for him since he was so ill.
          But I think my biggest times of anxiety have related to illnesses or procedures involving my wife.  There have been times of waiting for the results of biopsies or for her to return from surgery.  The minutes pass so slowly during those times.  And sitting with her when she is ill at night creates even more anxiety than I had when our kids were ill.  At those times I had her to share the anxiety, but when she is ill I feel so alone, helpless and anxious.
           The scriptures do tell us to cast all of our cares on the Lord.  And He does give peace and comfort in those times.  And He is always with us even when we feel alone.  But I admit that even though I know it is wrong to be worried and anxious, I am a worrier and sometimes I guess I fight the peace that God is trying to give me.  It's times like this that our faith becomes very practical.
          Now as I've gone through numerous times of anxiety in the past three months, the Lord has continually brought back to my mind a little known hymn that we sang once in awhile many years ago.  The words have spoken to my heart continually during recent days.  If you are going through a time of personal anxiety, hopefully these words will comfort you as well.

(1)   Is there a heart o'erbound by sorrow?
Is there a life weighed down by care?
Come to the cross, each burden bearing—
All your anxiety, leave it there.  Refrain

(2)   No other friend so keen to help you,
No other friend so quick to hear;
No other place to leave your burden,
No other one to hear your prayer.    Refrain

(3)    Come then at once, delay no longer!
Heed His entreaty kind and sweet;
You need not fear a disappointment,
You shall find peace at the mercy seat.   Refrain

Refrain:
All your anxiety, all your care,
Bring to the mercy seat, leave it there;
Never a burden He cannot bear,
Never a friend like Jesus!

No comments: