Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Sunday, July 27, 2014

A Beautiful Lady



        As I've shared so often, I have been blessed to have a wonderful godly heritage.  My father's parents, his three sisters, and their husbands have always modeled Jesus to me and have been an inspiration and encouragement to me throughout my life.  It is always with such mixed emotions that I feel when I watch as they pass on to their rewards in heaven.  I miss them greatly, but I also realize that they are now where they have looked forward to being for decades.
          Just recently the second of my father's three sisters, Aunt Beats, moved on to her eternal home.  My aunt didn't really know me the last few years of her life, although I think she may have at times thought that I was my dad.  But she always had the most beautiful smile and pleasant attitude.  She appreciated everyone and everything, especially in her final years, even though most of her memory was gone.
          Aunt Beats married Uncle Mart in 1942 and they had 61 years together until he was taken home 11 years ago.  He was a manager in the J.C. Penney chain and they moved quite frequently.  Over the years we enjoyed visiting them in their many locations.  We especially enjoyed the visits when they lived in Binghamton, N. Y., where they had a lovely home and a great swimming pool. They once hosted me overnight in their home when our basketball team from Susquehanna played a college game there.  And the first time that Dianne and I both visited them there together, we accompanied them to their church where we sang our first duet, "In The Secret Service of Prayer".
          Later they moved to Hanover and our visits were more frequent.  Once our family provided music in their church. Our boys enjoyed visiting with them in Hanover since Uncle Mart would take them out in his boat.  And they also had a swimming pool.  Upon retirement they bought a farm near Sunbury and we enjoyed visiting there as well.  They would always load us up with produce from their farm which they also  readily shared with all their friends.  When serious health issues developed they moved to Calvary Homes in Lancaster.
          We always enjoyed our times together with them, especially since their faith and testimony for the Lord was always so evident.  On their tractor shed on the farm they placed the sign "Wise Men Still Seek Christ" and they backed that up with their lives.  It was always a special blessing to be with them and they were always so kind and welcoming.
          Recently several folks have remarked to me how much Aunt Beats was like her father, Pastor N. H. Wolf, with a positive disposition and a love for the Lord.  This and her beautiful smile is how I will always remember her.  What greater heritage could one have then to have family members who loved and served the Lord.  I thank the Lord for this legacy and trust that my children, grandchildren, nephews and nieces will see the same in my life. 

No comments: