Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Monday, November 9, 2015

Frustration


          Frustration!   Yes, I am frustrated dealing with several companies and their customer service representatives.  Why can't companies hire folks who tell the truth or actually solve problems?  
          My first recent problem came with one of my most disliked monopolies - Comcast, now known as Xfinity.  Every Fall I order their sports package so that I can see all the football games that are televised.  I especially enjoy the NFL Redzone channel where I can watch all the exciting action and scores of all the NFL games as they are happening.  Well, on a Sunday afternoon I was watching this action when all of a sudden I lost all of the stations in my sports package.
          I went to the phone, and, as usual, had to wait an excessive amount of time to talk to a customer service rep who said he would restore it.  He required all sorts of serial numbers that I had a difficult time finding.  But, finally after getting all of these numbers for him, he said that he couldn't restore it because according to his records I hadn't purchased this package - even though I had been watching it.  When I finally convinced him that I had, he said that I would now need to talk to a purchasing agent.  After another lengthy delay I was finally connected and this agent told me that Xfinity was in the process of changing billing companies and I was in one of the groups that they had to disconnect until things were changed over.  She told me that there was nothing she could do but that the service would be restored - the next morning.  That meant I couldn't continue watching what I had purchased.  The next morning it still wasn't restored and I was told that it would be done later that day - which it was.  I asked for a credit for my 24 hours without the package.  
         Several days later I received an e-mail thanking me for purchasing a $34 video package on demand.  I called and complained and they said they would take it off my bill.  Two days later I received another such e-mail.  I contacted them again and was told that this was sent by mistake.  But when my bill was sent to me it still included this package.  Another call to billing and I was told that the bill was sent out before the corrections were made but that I should still pay the amount billed and I would get a credit on next month's bill.  No way am I going to let them have about $40 of my money for a month until the next bill comes.  If I end up being charged an extra fee for paying just what I owe, I will consider quitting them.
          Oh yes, last Saturday my sports package was cut off once again.  Fortunately, this time it took fewer calls to get through and get it restored.  Maybe I should change my password to Ihatecomcast!
          Next problem - when I was having my pre-op appointment I mentioned that last January I had had an back x-ray at LOG.  The surgeon's assistant suggested that it might be helpful, but not necessary, for them to have a copy of this and the report.  However, LOG would not provide it for them.  I had to go there and request it since LOG is not part of the large LGH network.  When I went to LOG they said I could have it but that I would have to hand deliver it to my surgeon because they do not send them out.  Of course, I would also have to pay $10 for the x-ray and report.  I was shocked about the lack of sharing between medical practices but I guess that is the way it is today, despite or because of Obamacare.  So I decided to just let them keep their x-ray and report which actually won't do them any good since I don't ever plan to go back to them.
          But my biggest frustrations came with Optimum Rx, the company which handles our claims for medicine.  Beginning October 1, I found that we were suddenly being overcharged by them for our medicines.  Both of us are now in the catastrophic phase of our medicare insurance but suddenly we were no longer getting charged accordingly.
          In my first call to them the person I talked to claimed that the charges were correct.  She said that two of the increases were because my pharmacist changed companies - he did not.  My one bill was to be 5% of the retail price.  I tried to explain that if the bill was right that the retail price would be $1,300 a month and that was a ridiculous price for an inhaler.  But she insisted that it was correct.   Completely false information - incidentally in call number 4 I found the retail price was actually $329 not $1,300.  She probably flunked math or maybe even reading or had an IQ below freezing.
          In my second through fourth calls the reps admitted that the computer program was incorrect and I was to have my pharmacist resubmit all the bills.  The pharmacist reluctantly did each time and the charges were still wrong.  In my calls five through nine the company admitted that they had mistakes in their computer system and they would be fixed.  Each time they promised to call me back, but they never did.  Incidentally, during these calls I talked to ten different customer service reps and three different supervisors, probably in multiple locations.  On the ninth call they agreed to talk to my pharmacist directly, but when I heard back from him, the problem still wasn't solved.
           So, because we were going to Pinebrook for a week, I waited another week to make call number ten - and a tenth customer service rep.  She proceeded to tell me that everything was fine and that my pharmacist would need to resubmit the claims - I think for about the sixth time.  When I realized that I was once again getting no help, I again asked to speak to a supervisor.  This time she switched me to somebody at HOP which is the company that actually has our entire insurance plan - both medical and medicine.  Finally, I think I found somebody who might help.  She said they would give the problem to one of their investigators and would get back to me.  I think she will do that since she is based in Lancaster, not all over the country like the many folks I talked to at Optimum Rx.
          Finally things were corrected but not until after some exchanges with my pharmacist who says they were to most rude folks he's ever worked with.  But I did get a refund of over $70.  This is why I keep detailed records and know the details of my medical plan.  Many others would just pay the bill and not even realize they are overpaying.  I wonder how many others were overcharged and will not get a refund.
         When things were settled I composed a letter to the President of the company based in California.  His representative called me while I was in the hospital.  Dianne told her that I had just had lumbar surgery.  The rep repled, "thank you Mrs. Lumbar.  I'll call back when he gets home."  She never has called back and if she did I don't know if she would ask for Mr. Kauffman or Mr. Lumbar!
         Oh the joys ... or should I say, frustrations ... of working with some customer service agents.  At least the ones I dealt with could speak English and that in itself is remarkable.

No comments: