Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Sunday, November 15, 2015

Psalm 77



         During the recent days of my long recuperation from back surgery I came upon Psalm 77 during my Bible reading and it has been a real help to me  This passage caught my eye because the writer's experiences seemed to mirror some of mine during recent weeks.  Now I do realize that his problems were much more serious than mine.  He feared for his life since his enemies were looking to wipe him out.
           But here is what he said in the first four verses.  "I cried out to God for help; I cried out to God to hear me.  When I was in distress, I sought the Lord;  at night I stretched out untiring hands, and I would not be comforted.  I remembered you, God, and I groaned;  I meditated, and my spirit grew faint. You kept my eyes from closing; I was too troubled to speak."
           Now I don't  think that there is a worse time than at night to be in fear or in pain.  You feel so alone and helpless and can't wait until sunrise.  I have often been there with sick and fevered children or with my sick spouse.  The night hours can be so long.   I have been there recently, not just because of my own post surgery pain, but because my wife has been dealing with the severe nerve pain from shingles.  She needs healing and relief.
          The Psalmist continued his lament when it seemed like God wasn't listening or answering his pleas.  In verses 7-9 he says, "Will the Lord reject forever?  Will he never show his favor again?  Has his unfailing love vanished forever?  Has his promise failed for all time?  Has God forgotten to be merciful?  Has he in anger withheld his compassion?"  
          Have you ever reached this point?  I admit that I have.  During these recent days and nights I have pleaded with the Lord to give my wife relief, especially since she has to care for my needs.  And yet it has seemed like He has been silent.  Why doesn't He answer quickly?  Is He really there?  Does He really care?  
          But then the Psalmist appears to remember God's miraculous dealings with him and his people.  In verses 10-14 he says, "Then I thought, to this I will appeal:  the years when the Most High stretched out his right hand. I will remember the deeds of the Lord;  yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago.  I will consider all your works  and meditate on all your mighty deeds." Your ways, God, are holy.  What god is as great as our God?  You are the God who performs miracles;  you display your power among the peoples."  And then in the final five verses he relates many of the amazing ways that God had worked in the past.  And it appears that this trip down memory lane renews his faith and trust in God to take care of the things in his troubled life.
          And, like the Psalmist, I have gone back in my memory and recounted the amazing ways that God has answered my prayers and intervened in my life over many decades.  As He has promised, He has never left me alone.  He has always worked things out for His good.  He has never left me hopeless, and I know that He will never do so.
          Now I don't know how or when He will answer my specific prayers, but I know that He will.  I need the patience to wait for His timing, the strength to meet today's challenges and the faith to know that my days and hours (even the night hours) are in His hands.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful Psalm in times of trouble. We all struggle with the same thoughts.