Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, November 21, 2015

To Facebook?


          To facebook or not to facebook?  That is the question.  Or maybe I should revise that and ask "to continue to facebook or to quit facebook", that is really the question for me.
         I have been on Facebook for at least two years, and maybe more.  There are times that I enjoy it and there are times I almost despise it.  I've come close to pulling the plug several times but have not yet done so because there are pros as well as cons.
          Here are some reasons that I still like Facebook.  (1)  Facebook does give me the opportunity to keep up with family, friends and former students who live outside of the area and that is often interesting.  Unfortunately, many of my relatives aren't on facebook.
          (2)  Awana has many interesting posts, especially blogs and suggestions for parents and leaders.  These I try to share on fbfawana, a page that I operate for interested parents and leaders.  Much worthwhile information is shared in this way.  I also have a chance to learn what is happening with Awana in many foreign countries as well as in the United States.  This I would miss if I pulled the plug.
          (3)   Sometimes there are clever cartoons and even jokes which just brighten the day.  A few times there are funny real life experiences that happened to my friends.  A few good laughs are good for what ails you.
          Now while there are some positives, there are also things which bother me and turn me off.  (1)   Some of my friends are always sharing photos, stories and comments that they have received from all of their friends.  Not only do I not know many of these people, but I also am not interested in what they have to say.  And yet they fill my page and take up my time to sort through them.  That is really a waste of my time.
          (2)  Closely related to that are those that I know, as well as those who are friends of my friends, who share photos of their children and grandchildren ... not just one, but 10, 15, 20 at a time ... and not just once a month ... but in some cases almost daily.  I'm sorry, I could care less about them ... I have my own children and grandchildren ... and they are better looking and probably more talented than yours.  Get a life and brag elsewhere, not on my page.  Just show me one picture of important things - no more than once a month.  That's plenty.
         (3)   Then there are those who try to make a business by selling products through Facebook postings.  Now I admire your spirit and your desire to make money.  But I am not interested in your finger nails or beauty aids or health products or cookware or anything that you are selling.  If you want me to buy, then come to my home to make your pitch.  But don't be surprised if I don't open the door for you.  I can control that entrance while I can't control your entrance via Facebook.  I'm not interested, understand?
         (4)   I think that those who play games on Facebook or share recipes that you haven't even tried, need to find something more productive to do with your time.  And I don't need to see your scores or your pictures of things I couldn't eat anyway.  Try making them first and then if they are successful, share them along with you personal evaluation.
         (5)    I get tired of all those shares that one is to pass on if you love your sister, if you are proud of your grandchildren, if you love your cat or dog, if you feel sorry for a kid with cancer (I may feel sorry, but better to pray for the child - assuming there is such a real person) .... or even if you love almost anything.
          (6)   I also tire of all the comments that share how bad our elected leaders are and how our country is in such bad shape.  This is generally all true but what good does it do to vent about it on Facebook? Are they going to read your postings and change?  I don't think so. If you want to feel negative today just watch Fox news rather than read about it on Facebook.
          (7)   Talking about sharing negative thoughts,  I agree that there is merit in pointing out the negatives of evangelists, teachers and pastors.  The scriptures do warn us that we need to be discerning and that in the last times there will be those who deceive.  And we have plenty of that happening today. Many are being deceived. But there are some who do nothing but share this information, over and over, many times a day.  But, unfortunately, even if that is their calling, sometimes the number and tone of these messages makes you just move on and not even pay attention to them.  Now I commend these folks for their serious and needed mission, but don't overwhelm your readers if you want them to connect with your message.  And maybe a few positive thoughts would provide a needed balance.
           (8)   I do get fed up with all the ads that pop up on my page.  But I guess that is the way that Facebook survives.  I wish there was a way to block them like there is for spam.
         (9)   I really don't need to see pictures of everything my friends eat or drink.  What you want to fill up on is your choice and I really don't care - no matter how "pretty" it might look.
         (9)   And one final negative response - many of my "friends" never post anything or reply to anything.  I have 82 "friends" on facebook but only 36 of them have ever posted a message or responded to mine.  What good is a friend who never communicates with you.  If we are just in a race to see who can rack up the most friends, then count me out - you win!
           So what should I do?   I guess time will tell.   In the meantime I will probably continue to scan the postings and read a few while ignoring the rest.
          Oh yes, before I leave, one positive thought.  Thank the Lord for Facebook. Otherwise I'd have to call 82 people this morning to tell them I had cereal for breakfast.


No comments: