Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, October 20, 2018

Lessons To Be Learned


          You've probably seen some of the many lists that people have made which begin with "Everything I Needed To Know About Life I Learned From .....".  This phrase is completed with a particular Item, such as "Kindergarten".  Then the author goes on to list some clever and sometimes humorous items.
          Now I realize that these are created in jest and I hope they aren't taken too seriously.  For what I needed to know about life I learned through the Bible, through the lives of my parents, my grandparents and many of my relatives.  I also learned through good teaching and preaching, through good role models and through spending time with the Lord in meditation and prayer.  And I would never want to minimize these by sharing one of these lists.
         Now I share all of that because somebody recently gave me a list which ended in ... from a jigsaw puzzle.  Now this person knew that my wife and I enjoy doing jigsaw puzzles.  We almost always have one going in our family room.  It is a hobby that we share together and have done so for many years.  And we both do them differently.  My wife is good at matching colors and I am not.  I am good at matching shapes and finding things from the puzzle picture.  We make a good team.
         But a Jacquie Sewell compiled a list of principles that can be learned if you are patient enough to put puzzles together.
1.   Don't force a fit  If something is meant to be, it will come together naturally. 
2.   When things aren't going so well, take a break. Everything will look different when you return. 
3.   Be sure to look at the big picture. Getting hung up on the little pieces only leads to frustration. 
4.   Perseverance pays off. Every important puzzle went together bit by bit, piece by piece. 
5.   When one spot stops working, move to another. But be sure to come back later (see #4).
6.   The creator of the puzzle gave you the picture as a guidebook. Refer to the Creator's guidebook often. 
7.   Variety is the spice of life. It's the different colors and patterns that make the puzzle interesting. 
8.   Working together with friends and family makes any task fun. 
9.   Establish the border first. Boundaries give a sense of security and order. 
10.   Don't be afraid to try different combinations. Some matches are surprising. 
11.   Take time often to celebrate your successes (even little ones). 
12.   Anything worth doing takes time and effort. A great puzzle can't be rushed. 
13.   When you finally reach the last piece, don't be sad. Rejoice in the masterpiece you've made and enjoy a well-deserved rest.
          So there you are.  If you are looking for a good hobby, take up putting jigsaw puzzles together.  I highly recommend it and will be glad to share some with you   But here is a better way to learn the real lessons of life.

Teach me Thy way, O Lord,
  Teach me Thy way;
Thy gracious aid afford,
  Teach me Thy way.
Help me to walk aright;
More by faith, less by sight;
Lead me with heav’nly light,
  Teach me Thy way.

When doubts and fears arise,
  Teach me Thy way;
When storms o’erspread the skies,
  Teach me Thy way.
Shine through the cloud and rain,
Through sorrow, toil, and pain;
Make Thou my pathway plain,
  Teach me Thy way.

Long as my life shall last,
  Teach me Thy way;
Where’er my lot be cast,
  Teach me Thy way.
Until the race is run,
Until the journey’s done,
Until the crown is won,

  Teach me Thy way.

No comments: