Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, October 6, 2018

Memories


Note:  This blog was to actually been posted on September 7, but due to a technical problem it was not displayed.  So it is being posted again, a month later.

          September 11, 2001 ... that famous date brings back so many memories to almost all of us each year when we hit September 11. People remember where they were and recall the terrible images.  And like others once many memories again came back to me this week
          On that unforgettable day, 17 years ago, I was in my classroom during a block one prep period.  When I had completed my prep for block two I decided to turn on the large television mounted in the room to catch up on the news.  A few minutes later I was stunned to see the first plane plow into the towers.  Like most, I thought it was a horrendous accident.  But minutes later when the second plane hit the towers, it became dreadfully obvious that this was an act of terrorism against the United States.
          The television remained on for my block two and block three classes as my students joined me in quietly watching all the stunning developments.  Nobody was the least  bit interested in learning any math that day and I certainly didn't want to teach.  It reminded me of the day I was teaching many years ago when we received word that President Kennedy had been killed.  Those are days and events one never forgets.
           Another set of memories developed for me the following day when I learned more details about the crash of Flight 93.  It turns out that the rebellion by the passengers was led by Todd Beamer.  While I never met Todd, he was married to Lisa Brosious, the daughter of Paul, one of my very best friends.  Lisa had actually visited in our home with her parents while she was growing up.
          This crash was the second major tragedy in her life.  Years before, in October of 1984, her father dropped over with a sudden major heart attack.  Ironically, through his death  he met the Creator of the universe.  At the very same moment he entered heaven I had the honor of shaking hands with the most powerful person on earth, President Ronald Reagan, on the White House Lawn.  That day he honored me with the Presidential Award for Excellence in Teaching Mathematics.  I was one of 50 from throughout the country to receive this award.  The memories of that day and those two contrasting events are memories I shall never forget.
          But recalling the death of my close friend, Paul, brings back another set of memories of our times together.  I met him in 1959 when, as a freshman at Susquehanna University, I attended a church in Sunbury where Paul attended.  Although he was a few years older than I was, we quickly became friends.  We especially enjoyed singing in a young man's quartet, singing in the choir, going to quartet concerts and playing touch football whenever we could.
          When I met Paul he was working as an engineer for a local radio station.  After spending time with our college friends and with me he began to wish that he had gone to college.  But he had taken the general courses in high school and needed work to meet college entrance requirements.  One of the things he needed was trig.  He asked me to tutor him and I did.  It was the easiest tutoring job that I ever had. He was so bright that he quickly breezed through an entire trig course.
          Paul was accepted at Bloomsburg. After quickly earning a degree there he went to Bucknell for his masters.  Again, he quickly earned his degree there and moved on to Penn State where he earned his doctorate.  He was one of the most intelligent and motivated students that I have ever worked with.  Then he was hired by IBM where he was very successful in research, especially with miniaturization of computers.  IBM sent him to Europe to present his work to researchers there.  Nothing about his success surprised me.
          Unfortunately, his brothers had a history of early death from heart attacks.  And Paul was not an exception to this tragic history.  And on that October day the Lord called him home, leaving his wife and several children.  A very sad memory for so many.
          So it is interesting how sometimes one memory can lead to many more - some good, some not so good - but all part of God's plan.

Be still, my soul: the Lord is on thy side.
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In every change, He faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: thy best, thy heavenly Friend
Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

Be still, my soul: thy God doth undertake
To guide the future, as He has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: the waves and winds still know
His voice Who ruled them while He dwelt below.

Be still, my soul: when dearest friends depart,
And all is darkened in the vale of tears,
Then shalt thou better know His love, His heart,
Who comes to soothe thy sorrow and thy fears.
Be still, my soul: thy Jesus can repay
From His own fullness all He takes away.

Be still, my soul: the hour is hastening on
When we shall be forever with the Lord.
When disappointment, grief and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love's purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul: when change and tears are past
All safe and blessèd we shall meet at last.

No comments: