Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, October 13, 2018

Robo Calls


          It was Thursday morning and I was at my twice a week visit to Pulmonary Rehab.  Dianne did not drive me there this time but stayed at home because she was not feeling well after her recent surgery and six day stay in the hospital.  I was carrying my cell phone just in case she got worse at home and needed my help.

          I was halfway through my work on the treadmill and had just reached my maximum speed for this session when my cell phone rang.  I did not recognize the caller but I was able to quickly pause the treadmill and answer it.  While I caught my breath the caller told me that she could reduce my credit card rate!
         For years we have gotten these annoying calls on our landline, but this was the second in three days that we received on our cell phone.  And we have to pay for these disgusting calls.  So very sad and irritating!  I don't know how they've now found our cell phone number because we seldom use it and never give it out to those we don't know.
          It appears that all one can really do about these calls is to just hang up.  Recently I have begun to try a new tactic.  If the caller is live, I tell them that I don't intend to buy but as a courtesy I will listen to their pitch if they then agree to listen to me for five minutes as I share with them the greatest gift that they can receive.  So far all that this has produced is hang-ups.  But you never know.
          I'm also considering another approach, asking for their name, and then beginning to pray for them, asking the Lord to speak to their needs and give them a more respectable job.  But I know that this won't get me anywhere either.
          I have sometimes enjoyed leading on the ones who call to tell me that they have found a problem with my Windows software.  After they get to the point that they want me to allow them to have access to my computer I then ask them what I do since I don't have Windows and am a Mac user.  They then hang up.
          Probably the best reply that I have made came completely accidentally.  The caller promised me better electric rates.  I replied that I am Amish and we don't have electricity.  The caller apologized and hung up.
          Two other recent calls were supposed to be from our grandchildren.  The first had drunk too much and needed money to get out of trouble.  On the most recent call my wife replied that the caller didn't sound like our grandson.  The caller immediately hung up.  Unfortunately we have heard of folks who have replied and sent money.
          Sadly we've heard too many stories about those who have lost large amounts of money to these scams.  I guess many seniors are vulnerable to these calls.
         I'm not sure what else can be done about them.  But remember there is never a "free lunch" and if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

1.     Simply trusting every day,
Trusting through a stormy way;
Even when my faith is small,
Trusting Jesus, that is all.
Trusting as the moments fly,
Trusting as the days go by;
Trusting Him whate'er befall,
Trusting Jesus, that is all.
    
 2.     Brightly doth His Spirit shine
Into this poor heart of mine;
While He leads I cannot fall;
Trusting Jesus, that is all.
Trusting as the moments fly,
Trusting as the days go by;
Trusting Him whate'er befall,
Trusting Jesus, that is all.

  3.     Singing if my way is clear,
Praying if the path be drear;
If in danger for Him call;
Trusting Jesus, that is all.
Trusting as the moments fly,
Trusting as the days go by;
Trusting Him whate'er befall,
Trusting Jesus, that is all.
   
  4.     Trusting Him while life shall last,
Trusting Him till earth be past;
Till within the jasper wall,
Trusting Jesus, that is all.
Trusting as the moments fly,
Trusting as the days go by;
Trusting Him whate'er befall,
Trusting Jesus, that is all.

No comments: