Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, November 3, 2018

Prayer For Aging


         Now I understand that some of my readers aren't yet thinking about aging.  Most of us don't think about it until suddenly our bodies alert us to unexpected physical changes.  So if this poem isn't for you … at least not yet … maybe you can share it with one who will understand and be helped by this prayer.
          The older I become, the more I understand why some seniors are so lonely and why some become depressed, negative and bitter.  It is hard to accept the changing world around you when your body is suddenly changing.  Nobody ever really warns us about these years and it is a real test of faith to accept them with a spirit of joy and thanksgiving.
          So maybe this prayer, written by Sr. Moya Hanlen, will remind you to think about our dependence upon the Lord, especially as we age.


PRAYER FOR AGING

ALL GLORIOUS GOD, You have given me all I am and have,
and now I give it back to You to stand under Your will alone.
In a special way I give You these later days of my life.
I am one of those called by You into old age, a call not given to all,
not given to Jesus, not given to most in our world today.
I humbly ask You, grace me deeply in each aspect of that struggle.
As my physical eyesight weakens,
may the eyes of my faith strengthen
that I may see You and Your Love in everything.
As my hearing fails, may the ears of my heart
be more sensitive to the whisper of Your gentle voice.
As my legs weaken and walking becomes more difficult,
may I walk more truly in Your paths,
knowing all the while that I am held in the embrace of Your love.
As my mind becomes less alert and memory fades
may I remain peaceful in You,
aware that with You there is no need for thought or word.
You ask simply that I be there, with You.
And should sickness overtake me and I be confined to bed,
may I know myself as one with Your Son as he offers his life for
the salvation of the world.
Finally, as my heart slows a little after the work of the years,
may it expand in love for you and all people.
May it rest secure and grateful in Your loving Heart
until I am lost in You, completely and forever.
Amen 

No comments: