Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, November 24, 2018

Get Well!



        With four hospitalizations during the past three months, my wife and I have learned quite a bit about what is appreciated from friends during these stays and times of recovery.  It is really comforting to know that one has friends who are concerned and praying.
          Visitations are nice when one is feeling well enough to appreciate them.  But they should be short and comforting.  It is so easy to stay too long and wear out your welcome, especially when the patient is tired or in discomfort.  Unfortunately we have had to ask a few friends to leave and we should have done the same to a few others.  This is also the case when the patient is released and recovering at home. Generally 15 minutes is enough if you are not a family member.
          Flowers can be nice but they are very expensive.  Sometimes they are appreciated more after the patient is released and recovering at home.  Meals are also appreciated but only if you know what the patient can eat and enjoy.  During our stay we did receive some flowers from our Awana club and a few meals from friends and family.
          But I think one of the things we appreciated the most were the get well cards with personal messages included.  Unfortunately, cards have gotten very expensive but to buy one and pay to send it today shows real thoughtfulness and makes them even more appreciated. But please include a personal handwritten message.  E-mail cards are a nice substitute but you can't get them when you are in the hospital and you can't display them to enjoy during your days of recovery.  There is often something extra special about purchased or handmade cards with timely messages.
          Now many of the cards which we received contained beautiful messages and encouraging personal notes. For example, one of them said "Someone's Taking Really Good Care of You - Our God is the Great Physician - the One who made you and knows how to mend you.  His healing touch restores body, soul and spirit.  His schedule is never too full ... His diagnosis is always accurate ... His treatment is wise and gentle ... and His result - amazing! You couldn't be in better hands.  Lifting You Up in Prayer".  "Praying ... that you will be filled with His mighty, glorious strength so that you can keep going ... always full of the joy of the Lord." Colossians 1:11 TLB.  And that was encouraging.
          However, it is often good to receive a card that is humorous.  It can be encouraging just to laugh a little in times of stress and pain.  One of my favorites came from a cousin.  It showed a doctor in front of a skeleton, bones and medical jars and containers.  It said Here's a list of useful terms to speed your recovery:  Healthy as a horse ... Fit as a fiddle ...at your best ... Feeling in the pink ... chipper ... the ol' pizzaz ...100% ... tip top shape ... feeling your oats ... on top of the world ... strong as an ox ... back in the swing ... just ducky!
         Then it gave the following definitions.  Bacteria - rear entrance of a cafeteria.   Nitrate - cheaper than day rate.   Urine - opposite of "you're out!"  Barium - What happens if CPR fails.   Dilate - to live longer.   Outpatient - a person who has fainted.  I still enjoy this card.  Thanks Cuz!
          Well nobody enjoys being in the hospital.  But sometimes that is just part of life.  But it does help when you are remembered by friends who not only pray for you but also demonstrate their concern and friendship in some visible way.  Thank you to those who have done that for us.

(1)    I have a Savior, He's pleading in glory,
A dear, loving Savior though earth friends be few;
And now He is watching in tenderness o'er me;
And oh, that my Savior were your Savior, too.
For you I am praying,
For you I am praying,
For you I am praying,
I'm praying for you.

(2)    I have a Father; to me He has given
A hope for eternity, blessed and true;
And soon He will call me to meet Him in Heaven,
But, oh, that He'd let me bring you with me, too!
For you I am praying,
For you I am praying,
For you I am praying,
I'm praying for you.

(3)    I have a robe; 'tis resplendent in whiteness,
Awaiting in glory my wondering view;
Oh, when I receive it all shining in brightness,
Dear friend, could I see you receiving one, too!
For you I am praying,
For you I am praying,
For you I am praying,
I'm praying for you.

(4)    When Jesus has found you, tell others the story,
That my loving Savior is your Savior, too;
Then pray that your Savior may bring them to glory,
And prayer will be answered — 'twas answered for you!
For you I am praying,
For you I am praying,
For you I am praying,
I'm praying for you.

(5)   Speak of that Savior, that Father in Heaven,
That harp, crown, and robe which are waiting for you—
That peace you possess, and that rest to be given,
Still praying that Jesus may save them with you.
For you I am praying,
For you I am praying,
For you I am praying,
I'm praying for you.

No comments: