Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, November 17, 2018

The Good Neighbor


          With apologies for the similarity between this week's blog and the account of the Good Samaritan as recorded in Luke 10:25-37.  Actually this story does not involve any person from Samaria.


          Once upon a time there was a senior couple who lived alone in their own home.  All of their lives they had been relatively healthy and able to take care of themselves and their property  They loved the Lord and spent most of their lives serving Him in a variety of ministries.  They had been part of a particular church for decades and in fact one of them had been there from the very start of the church many decades ago.
          But in recent years they suddenly and unexpectedly felt the difficulties of growing older.  They spent much of their time with doctors and in hospitals and found that they just couldn't do many of the things that they had easily done throughout their lives.  This was very difficult for them to accept.
          Most of their friends didn't realize how they were struggling since they were used to them always being so active. And they didn't readily share their condition or needs. Their children understood and tried to do all that they could do to help their parents. But there were many things that they just couldn't do because of their own jobs, their own responsibilities, and the distances from their parents, especially in bad weather.  
          Their friends most likely felt that their children should take care of all of their needs and as a result they did nothing to help the couple.
           But one day the couple reached a major roadblock at their home - snow.  They were no longer able to handle their snow removal even though they had a good  snowblower.  They also couldn't even find somebody to hire to do it.  They even advertised for help but without any response.
          So in their need the neighbors passed them by.  Many of these neighbors were young strong men. A few were college students. They should have no problem helping with this need, but they were too unconcerned and busy with their own affairs.  They had their own lives to handle and despite pleas from the seniors, they just passed them by leaving the seniors without any help and with their snow.
         Next were friends they had known for many years, including many Christians and church members.  Many of them also saw their plight and also passed them up.  No help came from those who claimed that they loved and cared for the senior couple.  Let their family take care of them and their snow they must have thought.  Or they may have just been too busy with their own families and needs to stop and help.  So on they went with their lives leaving the seniors with their snow.
          But alas, along came a man who was new to another area street. He passed the house of the seniors most days taking his early morning walk.  He also had his own obligations.  In fact he was just recently married and not one who you would expect would have the time to stop and help these folks.  But he did.  He dug the snow by hand and cleared the way and even used salt to protect the seniors when in case it refroze.  When the seniors asked would they could do in return he answered, "nothing for it is better to give than to receive!"  This cheered the hearts of the seniors who thanked him and the Lord for His care and provision.
         Which now of these, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that had the need?  And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise."
          And in that story - like that of the Good Samaritan - there must be a lesson for each of us.

    Out in the highways and byways of life,
Many are weary and sad;
Carry the sunshine where darkness is rife,
Making the sorrowing glad.
Make me a blessing, Make me a blessing.
Out of my life may Jesus shine.
Make me a blessing, O Savior I pray,
Make me a blessing to someone today.

    Tell the sweet story of Christ and His love,
Tell of His pow'r to forgive;
Others will trust Him if only you prove
True, every moment you live. 
Make me a blessing, Make me a blessing.
Out of my life may Jesus shine.
Make me a blessing, O Savior I pray,
Make me a blessing to someone today.

    Give as 'twas given to you in you need,
Love as the Master loved you;
Be to the helpless a helper indeed,
Unto your mission be true. 
Make me a blessing, Make me a blessing.
Out of my life may Jesus shine.
Make me a blessing, O Savior I pray,
Make me a blessing to someone today.

Now what will happen to the seniors the rest of the winter?  Only the Lord knows.

No comments: