Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, December 15, 2018

Let It Snow, Let It Snow ... NOT



       " He holds the future in the palm of His hand and He has never failed me yet. I know He is reigning and still has control, so why should I worry or fret?"
          These are the words of a song that our family used to sing in some of the programs that we presented over 25 years of our family ministry.  And the Lord often brings them back to my mind because I battle with the problem of worry, despite the multitude of ways the Lord has met all of my needs over the years. 
          One of my biggest concerns recently has been snow removal on our property.  I have had four major surgeries over the past four years including bypass surgery.  I am limited to lifting less than 10 pounds for several months.  Dianne has heart problems and has had three hospitalizations since September.  Neither of us are supposed to shovel snow.  So what will we do?
          I have struggled trying to find help.  Our family members live too far away to help us. Two folks that my one son was able to secure a few times in the past will no longer take snow removal jobs. I contacted numerous professionals, including the group that does the adjoining development and all claim to be booked up.  I advertised for help on a community bulletin board - no response.  I contacted eight of our neighbors - no immediate response except one who said she would pray for us and would check a few contacts. We have a good snow blower but nobody to use it.   What would we do?
          Now I should have taken comfort in how the Lord has worked it out in the past.  A few years ago we had a 30 inch snowstorm and we were snowed in. I had a heart cath scheduled the next day and actually ended up with five by-passes. Then Tom, a former neighbor, showed up and dug a path so we could at least get to our garage and get the car out to the road.  Dianne tried to clear the other side of the drive which was drifted but it was too much for her.  Then unexpectedly another former neighbor, Matt, showed up with a Bobcat and opened the rest of our drive and our mailbox.  What a blessing and answer to prayer.  But Tom and Matt are now gone.
         In another big snow another neighbor, a senior in high school, suddenly showed up and dug us out.  He has since gone to college.  Last year after another large storm my daughter-in-law found a family who came and dug us out and even used our snow blower.  But they are no longer taking such jobs.  I  sometimes wonder if all of the folks who just showed up to help were really angels sent by the Lord.
          But, coming back to our current situation, we finally did receive some responses from our letters.  Our next door neighbor called and said that she would help us if we needed help.  She is a young elementary school teacher.  She has a young man who lives with her but he works over an hour away and will need to get himself out to get to work. Will they really help?  Will they be dependable?  I guess time will tell.
          But God wasn't done yet.  A few days ago we were unloading groceries when a young man from the house across the street showed up and said that he and his house mates would help us however they could.  The five of them are college students and members of the fire department.  Several of them are also involved as paramedics.  While we had never actually met them before, they have been very nice neighbors and seem to be very mature, unlike other college students who have lived in our neighborhood over the years.  They have volunteered to not only help us with snow removal but also with anything else we might need done.  What a surprise!  What a blessing!  What a marvelous answer to our prayers.
          But why should I be surprised.  God continues to provide, but just not always on our time schedule.   So why should I worry or fret?
         I guess I should just try to settle back ...  relax  ...  quit worrying ... trust the Lord ... and see how the Lord will continue to handle difficult things this year.  But you probably won't hear me singing, "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!", but maybe instead "Thank you Lord".
           
(1)     All the way my Savior leads me;
What have I to ask beside?
Can I doubt His tender mercy,
Who through life has been my Guide?
Heav'nly peace, divinest comfort,
Here by faith in Him to dwell!
For I know, whate'er befall me,
Jesus doeth all things well;
For I know, whate'er befall me,
Jesus doeth all things well.

(2)     All the way my Savior leads me,
Cheers each winding path I tread;
Gives me grace for every trial,
Feeds me with the living Bread.
Though my weary steps may falter,
And my soul athirst may be,
Gushing from the Rock before me,
Lo! A spring of joy I see;
Gushing from the Rock before me,
Lo! A spring of joy I see.

(3)     All the way my Savior leads me
O the fullness of His love!
Perfect rest to me is promised
In my Father's house above.
When my spirit, clothed immortal,
Wings its flight to realms of day
This my song through endless ages—
Jesus led me all the way;
This my song through endless ages—
Jesus led me all the way.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A hospice chaplain shared this song years ago as we waited vigil with my mom. Looking back that song was not only given for her comfort in passing but for me as I journey through life. The LORD has been alongside me everyday. He will carry me through to the end and new beginning! Thank you for sharing testimony of God's faithful provision in your life!