Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, December 8, 2018

Memories and Hymns


          Last evening we held a memorial service for a dear Christian brother who had a profound, positive impact upon so many people, as well as on the ministry of our church over about two decades.  The service might not have been as elaborate as the one held this week for former president George H. W. Bush, but it was an appropriate celebration for one who had served the Lord so faithfully.

          Dave German loved people.  He served as a mentor and counselor to so many folks over the years.  And he established an outstanding adult Sunday School program and trained and supervised a team of excellent teachers.  He and his wife Nona spent countless hours working on this program and helping a variety of people.
           Dave developed leukemia and then had a number of mini-strokes which kept him housebound and unable to continue his ministries.  After many months the Lord took him home for His eternal reward.  He is missed and will be for a long time.
          In the memorial service his wife arranged numerous things that were important to Dave - scriptures, music and musicians, testimonies and even his favorite snacks.  But he also loved something else that I also love and miss ... hymns.  And my wife was honored to be asked to play hymns for 30 minutes as a prelude and then more during the service.
          Now while the service was certainly not about me, this choice was a double blessing for me.  First, I had a chance to hear my wife practice these hymns, and I love to hear her play the piano.  Second, I love to hear the old hymns which were such a key part of my Christian growth over the years.  The hymns and scripture passages have been stored in my brain over the years and the Lord so often brings them back to me just when I need them.  I often wonder what the younger generations will have to recall when they get older.
          Now as my wife practiced for the service, several times I had the time to listen and quietly worship.  Silently I would remember and sing the words.  While doing this I would often talk to my Father and thank Him for the marvelous things He has done for me over the years.  As I recalled these, sometimes it even brought tears to my eyes as the hymns led me to worship.
          For you older readers, how could you not rejoice as you recalled the words of  ... Near to the Heart of God ... After ... And Can It Be ... All Your Anxiety ... Soon and very Soon ...  Under His Wings ... Jesus Lover of My Soul ...  A Mighty Fortress Is Our God ... Be Thou Exalted ...  Because He Lives ... Blest Be the Tie That Binds ... Abide With Me ...  I Shall Know Him ... Amazing Grace ...  Trusting Jesus ... How Great Thou Art ... O Love That Will Not Let Me Go ... He Hideth My Soul ... The Old Rugged Cross ...  Be Still My Soul ...  Safe in the Arms of Jesus ... Grace Greater Than Our Sin ... In the Presence o Jehovah ... Great is Thy Faithfulness ... God Be With You Till We Meet Again ... When We All Get to Heaven ... Face To Face ... and so many more.  

          Thank you Lord for so many meaningful hymns that you have used in my life over the years.  Thank you for your Spirit which fills us with peace, strength, comfort and hope when these words are brought back to our minds when we need them.

Face to face with Christ, my Savior,
Face to face--what will it be?
When with rapture I behold Him,
Jesus Christ who died for me.
Face to face I shall behold Him,
Far beyond the starry sky;
Face to face in all His glory,
I shall see Him by and by!

Only faintly now, I see Him,
With the darkling veil between,
But a blessed day is coming,
When His glory shall be seen.
Face to face I shall behold Him,
Far beyond the starry sky;
Face to face in all His glory,
I shall see Him by and by!

What rejoicing in His presence,
When are banished grief and pain;
When the crooked ways are straightened,
And the dark things shall be plain.
Face to face I shall behold Him,
Far beyond the starry sky;
Face to face in all His glory,
I shall see Him by and by!

Face to face! O blissful moment!
Face to face--to see and know;
Face to face with my Redeemer,
Jesus Christ who loves me so.
Face to face I shall behold Him,
Far beyond the starry sky;
Face to face in all His glory,
I shall see Him by and by!

No comments: