Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, December 1, 2018

Help In Time Of Need


          "Give thanks to the LORD for he is good; his love endures forever."  Psalm 107:1

          A few weeks ago I wrote a blog about our challenges in finding somebody to help us with our snow removal.  I marvel at how the Lord continues to take care of our needs even when it appears that there is no help in sight.  We had been searching for help only to find that all who do this professionally were booked for the winter.  We posted a help ad on the bulletin board of our local grocery store, without any response.  Then the first snow came and a neighbor from the street behind us saw our need as he took his morning walk and stopped to help us with some of the work.
          But we were still in need.  There will be more and probably larger snows this winter.  So I sent letters to eight of our neighbors, including some young men who were capable of helping us.  One neighbor did call to tell us that she was praying and checking a few of her contacts.  I decided to put an ad in a local weekly paper, but as I was doing that our next door neighbor called.    She is an elementary school teacher and has offered to help when she can.  She also offered the help of the young man who lives with her whenever he is at home.  So we'll see how this works out, especially for larger snows.  But we are thankful that the Lord is answering our prayers.  Unfortunately, I guess I don't have enough faith to pray that we don't get any snow this year - we've had record rain and don't really need more moisture.
          Now I must admit that I am having a very difficult time looking and asking for help from anyone besides our family members and I hate to depend upon them when they are so busy.  This stretch since July in which Dianne has been hospitalized three times and I have had cervical spine surgery has been an unexpected challenge.  After a month I am now able to drive again but my limit on lifting only 5 to 10 pounds will continue for three months.  It is so hard not being able to do anything and depending upon your wife and family members to take care of things you normally could do.
          But thankfully we have been able at least to get to church three evenings a week to keep up with my work as financial secretary of our church and treasurer of Awana.  And this next month is a very heavy one with the finances since I must prepare and distribute about 300 new boxes of envelopes and prepare a new computer data base for giving for 2019.  I must also prepare over 300 annual receipts after the first of the year, prepare receipts for several memorial gifts, and keep records of individual giving for each Sunday. That is many days and hours of work. So far I have been able to keep up with that work, with the help of my wife.  I guess it at least gives me something to do when I am well enough to do it.
          I have not been in church for worship since August and a few folks have said that they miss me. I hope that they really do.  It is very easy to get lost attending a larger church  and not really missed.  Dianne started returning a few weeks ago.  I'm not sure when I will go back. We have gotten a number of nice cards from folks during that time as well as two visits from our pastor and our visitation pastor during Dianne's hospitalization and one from each while here at home.  We have also had a few meals prepared by family members.
          Fortunately our family has been there to help as they've been able.  Our oldest grandson has come weekly to cut our grass and now to help us clean up our many leaves.  He has also done jobs around the house that we can't currently do.  On Thanksgiving our family showed up and our daughters-in-law brought the dinner.  The grandchildren carried in all of our Christmas boxes.  Our grandson set up our two trees and two of our granddaughters decorated both of them and did an excellent job. They also put up many of the other traditional decorations.  Some of the family helped with removing our leaves.  It was a special day and a very special blessing to us.  I thank the Lord for them.
          We've also found another way to get some help with a weekly necessary chore - online grocery shopping.  We have been solving the problem of shopping by ordering online and then at a designated time picking up our orders.  We've now done this three times and what a relief it is.  No more limping through the store and standing in lines to check-out.  We are thankful for this great new service.  And, of course, online shopping has been a tremendous help in doing our Christmas shopping.
          It is so hard to depend upon others to help especially when they are busy meeting their own obligations.  And I find it very difficult, if impossible, to do so.  I am finding out that few people really know how to help or are aware of things that they could do to help.  Perhaps they are praying for us. Hopefully, if I am ever again able to do such things once again, I will be more aware of little things that I could do to help others who are in need.  There are so many little things that folks could do if they just think about it.  For example, a few Sundays before Thanksgiving our church had a full turkey dinner for the congregation.  If they ever do it again, I will suggest that they take meals to those who can't attend.  That would have been wonderful and would have tasted so much better than the frozen meals we have been "enjoying".  Little things like that can make a big difference when you are limited and struggling.  And it shows that you really care.
          But I'm not complaining.  I am learning to take my needs to the Lord and then trying to have the faith for him to somehow take care of them.  And He has and He will.  Thank you Lord for your provision.

(1)     He giveth more grace as our burdens grow greater,
He sendeth more strength as our labors increase;
To added afflictions He addeth His mercy,
To multiplied trials He multiplies peace.
Chorus: His love has no limits,
His grace has no measure,
His power no boundary known unto men;
For out of His infinite riches in Jesus
He giveth, and giveth, and giveth again.

(2)    When we have exhausted our store of endurance,
When our strength has failed ere the day is half done,
When we reach the end of our hoarded resources
Our Father's full giving is only begun.
Chorus: His love has no limits,
His grace has no measure,
His power no boundary known unto men;
For out of His infinite riches in Jesus
He giveth, and giveth, and giveth again.

(3)    Fear not that thy need shall exceed His provision,
Our God ever yearns His resources to share;
Lean hard on the arm everlasting, availing;
The Father both thee and thy load will upbear.
Chorus: His love has no limits,
His grace has no measure,
His power no boundary known unto men;
For out of His infinite riches in Jesus
He giveth, and giveth, and giveth again.

No comments: