Welcome to my blog, or should I say to the ramblings of an old man. I doubt that my ramblings are of much value, but at least I have an opportunity to share them.  So, please be kind and humor me. If nothing else of value stands out in these thoughts, I hope that you at least sense the value I place on a daily walk with the Lord.  That walk is what has provided me with motivation and a sense of purpose throughout my lifetime.  My prayer is that you, too, are experiencing this direction and joy in daily living which is available to everyone who puts his trust in Christ.  So, thanks again for joining me.  Please don't go without leaving some comments here so I can get to know you better as our paths intersect today in this blog.

Saturday, September 7, 2019

A Birthday Adventure


        We seldom do anything to celebrate our birthdays.  In fact, most summers we have been working at Pinebrook Bible Conference on my wife's July 11 birthday.
          However this year we found ourselves at home on her birthday so we discussed the possibility of going somewhere for her free meal.  Now we seldom visit buffets anymore since we really can't eat enough food to make it worthwhile.  But there were two buffets which got our attention.  The first was Yoders where they have a nice buffet that isn't too expensive.  The second choice was the famous Shady Maple which might have the largest buffet in the world, or at least in this country.
         We debated the choices - Yoders, Shady Maple, home ... or maybe even Wendys.  While Shady Maple was more expensive than Yoders, the difference in price wasn't very much and their selection was bigger.  So even though we hadn't been there in years, our choice was Shady Maple.
          Now our next bad choice was arriving there a little after noon.  Not too smart!  The parking lot was packed - definitely no handicapped spots and no other spots as well.  We should have known then to leave and go to Yoders.  But we looked and looked and looked.  Finally we saw two couples leaving and we tracked them to get one of their spots.  Well they then stopped decided to talk to each other for about ten more minutes and when they finally started to leave the women returned to talk some more.  Finally we were able to follow the one couple to their car where we waited again and had to even block off some other drivers who wanted that spot.  But we finally were able to park and with our canes slowly amble to the entrance.
          Fortunately it didn't take too long to pay.  Then we waited in line for a booth.  When we finally reached the front of the line the attendant was very nice.  She saw our canes and worked very hard to find us a booth close to the buffet lines.
          We noticed several things while we waited.  First, if you weighed less than 300 pounds you were probably out of place there.  Second, if you couldn't carry two heaping fulll plates, at the same time, you were at a big disadvantage.  Third, if you had good manners or were shy you were definitely at a disadvantage!  And fourth, no matter how folks acted, Shady Maple would not run out of food.
          Then the real adventure began.  The lines - actually there weren't lines - were packed.  People stepped in front of you and blocked you when you tried to get some food.  For example, the pork and sauerkraut were to the right of the mashed potatoes.  Dianne got hers and then three different folks butted in between us to get theirs before I could get mine.  Did any of then say excuse me or thank you?  Heavens no - they had to get their food just in case it ran out ...  or at least that was the way they acted.
          There were numerous folks on electric wheelchairs.  At first i pitied them.  But I soon learned that they could take care of themselves and their chairs were actually a weapon.  I waited to get a scoop of dried corn and some harvard beets.  But one lady with her chair blocked my side of the counter while a friend, also in a wheelchair, blocked the other side.  And then they had a conversation about the food while blocking the way of us customers as well as the server who was trying to refill the buffet.  Rather than taking anything to eat they just discussed what each item was. I finally gave up and moved on.
          Then suddenly another hungry bus group arrived and they maintained a long solid line blocking the rest of us from the buffet.  Many football teams would love to have a line like the one that they made. Unfortunately I had left my cane back at my table.  Otherwise I might have been able to use it to butt in and get some food.  By now I was exhausted and discouraged.
          Then I saw somebody walk by with a hot dog.  At that point even a hot dog even looked good.  I saw that they were at a grill in another location so I was able to get one.  Besides the chocolate milk, it was the best thing that I had there that day. 
          That was enough for me.  It was an adventure and I had had enough of the rude crowds.  I don't ever intend to go back to Shady Maple no matter what deal they have on our birthdays.  Yoders is a much better choice for us!
          Oh yes, when we left it was pouring outside.  And maybe that was an appropriate ending to this experience.
          Bu† there is one "buffet" that I do look forward to.

1.     Jesus has a table spread
Where the saints of God are fed,
He invites His chosen people, "Come and dine";
With His manna He doth feed
And supplies our every need:
Oh, 'tis sweet to sup with Jesus all the time!
"Come and dine," the Master calleth, "Come and dine";
You may feast at Jesus' table all the time;
He Who fed the multitude, turned the water into wine,
To the hungry calleth now, "Come and dine."

2.    The disciples came to land,
Thus obeying Christ's command,
For the Master called unto them, "Come and dine";
There they found their heart's desire,
Bread and fish upon the fire;
Thus He satisfies the hungry every time
"Come and dine," the Master calleth, "Come and dine";
You may feast at Jesus' table all the time;
He Who fed the multitude, turned the water into wine,
To the hungry calleth now, "Come and dine."
.
3.     Soon the Lamb will take His bride
To be ever at His side,
All the host of heaven will assembled be;
Oh, 'twill be a glorious sight,
All the saints in spotless white;
And with Jesus they will feast eternally.
"Come and dine," the Master calleth, "Come and dine";
You may feast at Jesus' table all the time;
He Who fed the multitude, turned the water into wine,
To the hungry calleth now, "Come and dine." 

No comments: